Sea-level rise, warming temperatures, and changes in weather patterns pose particular challenges to Chesapeake Bay and the coastal zone. Learn what VIMS scientists are doing to help society understand, mitigate, and adapt to changing climate. Also visit our Center for Coastal Resources Management (CCRM) and our Initiative for Coastal Climate Change Research (IC3R).
- Marine lab leaders discuss sea-level rise at VIMS (May 2015) Representatives from marine laboratories throughout the southern U.S. traveled to the Virginia Institute of Marine Science last week for their annual meeting and to discuss an issue—sea-level rise—that threatens not only coastal communities but many of the lab’s own waterfront campuses.
- VIMS researcher briefs Capitol Hill on coastal flooding (March 2015) Molly Mitchell discusses the science and impacts of coastal flooding during briefing organized by the nation's leading weather society.
- VIMS helps Commonwealth respond to coastal flood threat (September, 2014) Governor names Dean and Director John Wells to Climate Change Commission, where he will serve as conduit for VIMS expertise and data.
- Study links Antarctic climate, food web (July, 2014) Long-term study reveals how changes in physical factors send ripples up the polar food chain.
Advisory Service Reports/White Papers
Five Most Recent Journal Articles
- Ruckelshaus, M., S. C. Doney, et al. 2013. Securing ocean benefits for society in the face of climate change. Marine Policy 40: 154-159. doi 10.1016/J.Marpol.2013.01.009
- Zhang, K. Q., Y. P. Li, et al. 2013. Comparison of three methods for estimating the sea level rise effect on storm surge flooding. Climatic Change 118(2): 487-500. doi 10.1007/S10584-012-0645-8
- Waldbusser, G. G., E. N. Powell, et al. 2013. Ecosystem effects of shell aggregations and cycling in coastal waters: an example of Chesapeake Bay oyster reefs. Ecology 94(4): 895-903.
- Sobocinski, K. L., R. J. Orth, et al. 2013. Historical Comparison of Fish Community Structure in Lower Chesapeake Bay Seagrass Habitats. Estuaries and Coasts 36(4): 775-794. doi 10.1007/S12237-013-9586-3
- Duffy, J. E., L. A. Amaral-Zettler, et al. 2013. Envisioning a Marine Biodiversity Observation Network. Bioscience 63(5): 350-361. doi 10.1525/Bio.2013.63.5.8