A biologist by training, I spent several years in marine research before switching gears into public outreach. I currently work on a variety of ocean literacy and workforce development projects with research partners at VIMS and beyond. I also manage the Bridge website and mentor graduate students with an interest in science communication.
- Bridge Ocean Education Resource Center
- Virginia Scientists & Educators Alliance (VASEA)
- Virginia Coastal Ecosystems Field Course
- Professional Development Workshops
- Workforce Development Initiatives
- Master Oyster Gardener Program
- Digitizing Biodiversity (DigIn!)
- Broader Impacts
- Outreach Scientist, Inner Space Center / Nautilus Live (2010-2013)
- Outreach Scientist, Census of Marine Life (2005-2010)
- Scientist in Residence, RiverzEdge Arts GED & Workforce Development Program (2011-2013)
- GSO Delegate, RISD/RI EPSCoR Data Visualization Initiative (2009-2013)
- Graduate Teaching Fellow (GK-12), National Science Foundation/URI GSO (2003-2005)
Bruno, B.C., Cackowski, C., Frederick, J.A., Vincent, R., Bennet, A., Böttjer-Wilson, D., Cooper, H., Engels, J., Flight, C., Lang, A., Lawrence, L.A., Smith, B., & Takacs, J. (in press). Applied Education Programming: Best Practices in Environmental Literacy and Teacher Professional Development. Oceanography.
McGuire Nuss S., Sharpe K., Brill C.H., Lawrence L., Cackowski C. (2019). Building Capacity for Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences. In: Fauville G., Payne D., Marrero M., Lantz-Andersson A., Crouch F. (eds) Exemplary Practices in Marine Science Education. Springer, Cham; Springer International. [PDF]
Brill C.H., Lawrence L., McGuire Nuss S., Cackowski C., Sharpe K. (2019). Out of the Tower and into the Classroom: Marine Science Graduate Students as K-12 Classroom Contributors. In: Fauville G., Payne D., Marrero M., Lantz-Andersson A., Crouch F. (eds) Exemplary Practices in Marine Science Education. Springer, Cham; Springer International. [PDF]
The Sea Grant Educator Network. (2018). 10 Year NOAA Sea Grant Environmental Literacy Vision, 2018-2028. NOAA Sea Grant. [PDF]
Census of Marine Life International Secretariat. (2011). Scientific Results to Support the Sustainable Use and Conservation of Marine Life: A Summary of the Census of Marine Life for Decision Makers. [PDF]
Census of Marine Life International Secretariat. (2010). First Census of Marine Life: Highlights of a Decade of Discovery. [PDF]
Cackowski, C. (2010). Census of Marine Life: Bringing a Decade of Global Research into the Classroom. The Earth Scientist. 26(1), 18-24. [PDF]
To learn more about education and outreach at VIMS, please visit our Multimedia Resources Center. To learn more about my work in ocean literacy, please visit my profiles on LinkedIn, Google Scholar, ORCiD, or Research Gate. You can also download my full CV.