Trainings, Workshops, Information Exchanges
Planned Courses and Events
Wetland Delineation, May 8-11, 2023
- WHO: Practitioners with a professional investment in wetland boundary identification.
- WHAT: A four-day (32-hour) offering on the wetland delineation protocol “Regional Supplement to the Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Manual: Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain Region Version 2.0.” The course curriculum will cover all aspects of wetland delineation in the Coastal Plain region, and include classroom and field activities.
- WHERE: Classroom portion will take place on the VIMS campus in Gloucester Point, Virginia; field component will necessitate travel to local parks.
- WHY: Participants will learn:
- The current scientific understanding for physical, chemical and biological phenomena that characterize wetlands in the Coastal Plain
- Wetland delineation protocols based on the Regional Supplement methodology
Proper sampling techniques for wetland delineations
- Introduction to the National Technical Committee for Hydric Soils’ (NTCHS) indicators for wetland soil conditions
- Introduction to “Difficult Wetland Situations,” and how to conduct a wetland delineation when “normal circumstances” are not present
- Tips on preparing a submittal package to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for a Jurisdictional Determination
- Differences between the Regional Supplement and the 1987 Manual, including implications for wetland delineations in the Coastal Plain
- Requirements for the Virginia Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD) certification progra
- HOW: Sign up HERE through April 6, 11:59PM, to enter the participant LOTTERY. Selected participants will be notified on April 7th; please stay tuned for details.
Course instructor Dr. Douglas A. DeBerry, a certified Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) and Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD), who has worked in the field for 29 years, with extensive experience in the Mid and South-Atlantic Coastal Plain regions. Notably, Dr. DeBerry participated in the test-development panel for the Professional Wetland Delineator certification program in Virginia, and brings perspective from his work as a technical advisor for the Mid-Atlantic Wetland Workgroup (MAWWG) and the National Wetland Condition Assessment (NWCA) program.
York River and Small Coastal Basins Symposium, May 17, 2023
Join us for the only symposium dedicated to the York!
Complete details here.
Are you in need of some technical assistance? Would you like to chat one-on-one re: planning, communications, facilitation, engagement, social science, DEIJ? ...Or maybe just discuss the latest in coastal zone management?! Let's set some time up!
Check out this link to book an appointment!
Interested in any/all of the above? Get the details direct to your inbox; click here to join the CBNERR-VA CTP Listserv.
Do you have an idea for a training opportunity or program that you would find particularly useful? Please contact Cirse Gonzalez at 804.684.7144 or email@example.com and let her know of your suggestions.