(2017 – present; *Indicates my graduate student; † Indicates graduate student collaboration)
- ∗Schonfeld, A.J., J. Gartland, and R.J. Latour. In review. Spatial differences in estuarine utilization by seasonally resident species in Mid-Atlantic Bight, USA. Fish and Fisheries.
- ∗Peterson, C.D., M. Wilberg, E. Cort´es, D.L. Courtney, and R.J. Latour. In review. Effects of altered stock assessment frequency on the management of a large coastal shark. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science.
- Latour, R.J., J. Gartland, C.D. Peterson. In press. Ontogenetic niche structure and partitioning of immature sandbar sharks within the Chesapeake Bay nursery. Marine Biology.
- ∗Peterson, C.D., M. Wilberg, E. Cort´es, D.L. Courtney, and R.J. Latour. In press. Effects of unregulated international fishing on recovery potential of the sandbar shark within the southeast United States. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- ∗Peterson, C.D., D.L. Courtney, E. Cort´es, and R.J. Latour. 2021. Reconciling conflicting survey indices of abundance prior to stock assessment. ICES Journal of Marine Science 78:3101-3120. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsab179.
- Anstead, K., K. Drew, D. Chagaris, M. Cieri, A.M. Schueller, J. Mcnamee, A. Buchheister, G. Nesslage, J.H. Uphoff, M. Wilberg, A. Sharov, M. Dean, J. Brust, M. Celestino, S. Madsen, S. Murray, M. Appelman, J. Ballenger, J. Brito, E. Cosby, C. Craig, C. Flora, K. Gottschall, R.J. Latour, E. Leonard, R. Mroch, J. Newhard, D. Orner, C. Swanson, J. Tinsman, E.D. Houde, T.J. Miller and H. Townsend. 2021. The past, present, and future of forage fish management: a case study of Atlantic menhaden. Frontiers in Marine Science 8:article 607657.
- ∗Peterson, C.D., M.J. Wilberg, E. Cort´es, and R.J. Latour. 2021. Dynamic factor analysis to reconcile conflicting survey indices of abundance. ICES Journal of Marine Science 78:1711-1729.doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsab051.
- Woodland, R., A. Buchheister, R.J. Latour, C. Lozano, E. Houde, ∗C. Sweetman, M.C. Fabrizio, and T. Tuckey. 2021. Environmental drivers of forage fishes and benthic invertebrates at multiple spatial scales in a large temperate estuary. Estuaries & Coasts 44:921-938.
- †Crear, D.P., R.J. Latour, M.A.M Friedrichs, P. St-Laurent, and K.C. Weng. 2020. Sensitivity of a shark nursery habitat to a changing climate. Marine Ecology Progress Series 652:123-136.
- Latour, R.J. and J. Gartland. 2020. Dynamics of the shark community in the Mid-Atlantic Bight. Marine Biology 167 (100). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-020-03720-y.
- Bangley, C.W., T.H. Curtis, D.H. Secor, R.J. Latour, and M.B. Ogburn. 2020. Identifying important juvenile Dusky Shark habitat in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean using acoustic telemetry and spatial modeling. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science 12:348-363. doi:10.1002/mcf2.101.20.
- ∗Warshafsky, Z.T, T.D. Tuckey, W.K. Vogelbein, R.J. Latour, and A.R. Wargo. 2019. Temporal, spatial, and biological variation of nematode epidemiology in American eels. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 76:1808-1818.
- †Crear, D., R. Brill, P. Bushnell, R.J. Latour, †G. Schwieterman, R. Steffen, and K. Weng. 2019. The impacts of warming and hypoxia on the performance of an obligate ram ventilator. Conservation Physiology 7:doi.org/10.1093/conphys/coz026.
- ∗Stratton, M.A., G. Nesslage, and R.J. Latour. 2019. Multidecadal climate and fishing predictors of abundance for U.S. South Atlantic coastal fishes and invertebrates. Fisheries Oceanography 28:487-504. doi:10.1111/fog.12426.
- ∗Gervasi, C.L., S.K. Lowerre-Barbieri, W.K. Vogelbein, J. Gartland, and R.J. Latour. 2019. The reproductive biology of Chesapeake Bay striped bass with consideration of the effects of mycobacteriosis. Bulletin of Marine Science 95:117-137.
- †Ivory, J.A., D.K. Steinberg, and R.J. Latour. 2019. Diel, seasonal, and interannual patterns in mesozooplankton abundance in the Sargasso Sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science 76:217-231.
- Morley, J.W., R.L. Selden, R.J. Latour, T.L Frölicher R.J. Seagraves, and M.L. Pinsky. 2018. Projecting shifts in thermal habitat for 686 species on the North American continental shelf. PLoS ONE 13(5):e0196127. Feature Research: PLoS Responding to Climate Change.
- *Lynch, P.D., K.W. Shertzer, E. Cortès, and R.J. Latour. 2018. Abundance trends of highly migratory species in the Atlantic Ocean: accounting for water temperature profiles. ICES Journal of Marine Science 75:1427-1438.
- *Parsons, K.T., J. Maisano, J. Gregg, C. Cotton, and R.J. Latour. 2018. Age and growth assessment of western North Atlantic Spiny Butterfly Ray Gymnura altavela (L. 1758) using micro-CT reconstructed vertebral centra. Environmental Biology of Fishes 101:137-151.
- Fabrizio, M.C., T.D. Tuckey, R.J. Latour, G.C. White, and A.J. Norris. 2018. Tidal habitats support large numbers of invasive blue catfish in a Chesapeake Bay subestuary. Estuaries & Coasts 41:827-840.
- †Colden, A.M., R.N. Lipcius, and R.J. Latour. 2017. Reef height drives threshold dynamics of restored oyster reefs. Marine Ecology Progress Series 582:1-13. Feature Article.
- †Deary, A., R.J. Latour, and E.J. Hilton. 2017. Niche partitioning in early life history stage, estuarine-dependent fishes (Sciaenidae). Estuaries & Coasts 40:1757-1770.
- *Peterson, C., K. Parsons, D. Bethea, W. Driggers III, and R.J. Latour. 2017. Community interactions and density dependence in Atlantic coastal sharks. Marine Ecology Progress Series 579:81-96.
- Latour, R.J., J. Gartland, and C.F. Bonzek. 2017. Spatiotemporal trends and drivers of fish condition in Chesapeake Bay. Marine Ecology Progress Series 579:1-17. Feature Article.
- *Peterson, C., J. Gartland, and R.J. Latour. 2017. Novel use of hook timers to quantify changing catchability over soak time in longline surveys. Fisheries Research 194:99-111.
- *Peterson, C., C. Belcher, D. Bethea, W. Driggers III, B. Frazier, and R.J. Latour. 2017. Preliminary recovery of coastal sharks in the south-east United States. Fish and Fisheries 18:845-859.
Professional / Advisory Service
- Member, NMFS Advisory Panel for Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (SEDAR
Pool), 2012 - present
- Member, MAFMC, Scientific and Statistical Committee, 2008 - present
- Member, ASMFC Atlantic Menhaden Technical Committee, 2006 - 2020
- Stock Assessment Subcommittee May 2007 - 2020
- Chairman, May 2009 - May 2011
- Vice-chairman, May 2008 - May 2009
- Chairman, 66th Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Review Committee (SARC 66), Nov 2018, NEFSC
- Member, Organizing Committee, Virginia Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine Annual Summit, 2018
- Invited Expert, Briefing for Virginia House Committee on Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources, 2018
- Associate Editor, Estuaries & Coasts, 2012 - 2014
- Chairman, 58th Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Review Committee (SARC 58), Jan 2014, NEFSC
- Invited Expert, Panel discussion of management of forage fishes, MAFMC, Apr 2013
- Invited Expert, Briefing for the ad-hoc committee to evaluate the status of Atlantic menhaden, Virginia General Assembly, 2011
- Chairman, 49th Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Review Committee (SARC 49), Dec 2009, NEFSC
- Member, external panel to review the NEFSC Foodweb Dynamics Program, Jul 2009, NEFSC
- Invited Expert, ASMFC American Shad Technical Committee, Jun 2006
- Invited Expert, Briefing for the Virginia Senate Committee on Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources, Nov 2006
- Member, VIMS panel to advise Virginia Marine Resources Commission on permitting for King William Reservoir, 2004
- Member, ASMFC Assessment Science Committee, 2003 - 2008
- Member, ASMFC Multispecies Technical Committee, 2002 - 2012
- MSVPA Subcommittee, 2005 - 2012
- Member, Chesapeake Bay Ecosystem Modeling Advisory Panel, 2001 - 2007
- Invited Expert, ASMFC Striped Bass Tagging Subcommittee, 2000 - 2004, 2012