Under the leadership of the Marine Advisory Program at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS), the Virginia Clean Marina Program (VCMP) was founded in the fall of 1999 to assist marinas in the Commonwealth with technical issues. The Virginia Clean Marina Program (VCMP) is designed as a voluntary program to address a broad range of issues related to the potential environmental impacts of marina operations. The VCMP was initiated as an implementation element of the Virginia Coastal Nonpoint Pollution Control Program.
The VCMP is a cooperative effort that brings together public and private interests through the Marina Technical and Environmental Advisory committee (MTEAC). Representatives from state agencies, the marine trade industry, recreational boating stakeholders, and members of the planning, design and environmental community serve on the MTEAC.
The VCMP provides information, guidance, and technical assistance to marinas, local governments, and recreational boaters in Virginia on how to minimize their impacts on water quality and coastal resources. To accomplish this task, a Marina Technical Advisory Program was established. The Marina Technical Advisory Program also focuses on working with marinas to achieve voluntary designation as a Virginia Clean Marina.
Benefits of Becoming a Virginia Clean Marina
Studies show marinas that implement best management practices receive slightly higher slip rental rates and have lower vacancy rates by their patrons.
Participation in the Virginia Clean Marina Program can result in the following benefits:
- Protected and improved water quality in the immediate vicinity of the marina.
- Displayed commitment to the environment creating an aesthetically-pleasing facility that will attract responsible boaters who respect and follow good boating practices.
- Reduced costs associated with waste disposal.
- Free technical assistance through the Marina Technical Advisory Program.
- Improved water quality and habitat for living resources.
- Unlimited use of the Virginia Clean Marina logo; the logo may be used in advertising and on the marina’s letterhead.
- Free advertising for the marina through newsletter articles, listing on the Clean Marina website, and exposure at boat shows and in workshops.