Oysters @ VIMS
Field and laboratory research at VIMS is key to the recent surge in oyster aquaculture in Virginia, and also underlies increasing success in restoring wild populations of the Eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica to the Chesapeake Bay. Oysters were historically one of the Bay's keystone species, filtering water and providing reef habitat for many other organisms. Oyster restoration aims to reclaim some of these benefits.
- VIMS dedicates Acuff Center for Aquaculture (May 2022) Ceremony to dedicate new aquaculture facility features representatives from academia, state government, and the shellfish-farming community.
- VIMS students win honors at world aquaculture conference (March 2022) Alex Marquardt and Anna Poslednik impressed at the Aquaculture 2022 conference in San Diego, earning both presentation awards bestowed by the National Shellfisheries Association.
VIMS welcomes coordinator of new Shellfish Aquaculture Program (October 2021) Dr. Bill Walton, Acuff professor of marine science, seeks to foster a thriving, sustainable industry.
- VIMS study uncovers new cause for intensification of oyster disease (June 2021) Examination of long-term monitoring data and tissue collections indicate rise in disease virulence is due to evolving parasite, not just drought.
Advisory Service Products
Five Most Recent Journal Articles
- McCarty, A.J., S.K. Allen, and L.V. Plough, 2022. Genome-wide analysis of acute low salinity tolerance in the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica and potential of genomic selection for trait improvement. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.1093/G3JOURNAL/JKAB368
- Bienlien, L.M., et al., 2022. Impact of parasitism on levels of human-pathogenic Vibrio species in eastern oysters. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 132(2): p. 760-771. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.15287
- Ben-Horin, T., et al., 2022. Pathogenic Vibrio parahaemolyticus Increase in Intertidal-Farmed Oysters in the Mid-Atlantic Region, but Only at Low Tide. North American Journal of Aquaculture, 84(1): p. 95-104. https://doi.org/10.1002/naaq.10218
- Pease, S. K. D., et al., 2021. Oyster hatchery breakthrough of two HABs and potential effects on larval eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica). Harmful Algae, 101 101965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2020.101965
- Morris, R. L., et al., 2021. Large-scale variation in wave attenuation of oyster reef living shorelines and the influence of inundation duration. Ecol Appl, e2382. https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.2382
Read a full list of VIMS-authored journal articles related to oysters