Humanity's growing demand for seafood is met in part by harvesting of wild stocks. VIMS researchers help illuminate and guide efforts to monitor, restore, and sustainably manage wild fisheries.
- Latour honored with Graves Award (May 2021) VIMS fisheries professor Rob Latour was honored during commencement weekend with the Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for sustained excellence in teaching.
- Scientific survey shows female blue crab population remains strong (May 2021) Results from the latest Winter Dredge Survey—conducted annually by VIMS and the Maryland DNR—indicate the female spawning stock remains healthy, but mixed results for abundances by age and sex may mean a lean harvest this fall.
- Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program celebrates top volunteers (April 2021) VGFTP celebrates the achievements of its top volunteers during 2020 in an online ceremony. 2020 Top Tagger Ed Shepherd has now tagged more than 83,000 fishes during his time in the program.
Advisory Service Reports
VIMS Juvenile Fish Survey
- Annual Reports: Estimating Relative Juvenile Abundance of Ecologically Important Finfish and Invertebrates in the Virginia Portion of Chesapeake Bay
Five Most Recent Journal Articles
- Thanassekos, S. and A. M. Scheld, 2020. Simulating the effects of environmental and market variability on fishing industry structure. Ecological Economics, 174: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2020.106687
- Scheld, A. M., et al., 2020. Quantifying the behavioral and economic effects of regulatory change in a recreational cobia fishery. Fisheries Research, 224: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2019.105469
- Huynh, Q. C., et al., 2020. Comparisons of mean length-based mortality estimators and age-structured models for six southeastern US stocks. Ices Journal of Marine Science, 77: 162-173. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsz191
- Hart, D. R., et al., 2020. Spillover of sea scallops from rotational closures in the Mid-Atlantic Bight (United States). Ices Journal of Marine Science, 77: 1992-2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsaa099
- Goldsmith, W. M., et al., 2020. Decision-making in a mixed commercial-recreational fishery for Atlantic bluefin tuna. Marine Policy, 115: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2020.103848