Community outreach is a priority for the CBNERR Education Department. Reserve staff provide environmental programs at Estuaries Day and Marine Science Day, as well as offering a Discovery Lab series open to the public on various marine science topics.
The Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Participants look through microscopes, observe live animals, partake in crafts and games, and view research posters. Both VIMS faculty and students participate as speakers, sharing their research with the general public in an intimate setting.
Currently, youth programs are restricted on campus, therefore all Discovery Labs will remain virtual until further notice.
Upcoming 2021 Dates and Topics
- August 17: Wetlands (Virtual)
- September 21: Lobsters (Virtual) - Register here!
- October 26: Mad Lab: Bioluminescence (Virtual) - Register here!
Past 2021 Dates and Topics
- January 19: Skates and Rays (virtual)
- February 16: Poop in the Ocean (virtual)
- March 16: Oysters (virtual)
- April 20: Harmful Algal Blooms (virtual)
Registration is required for all labs.
Time and Place
- Discovery Labs typically take place on the third or fourth Tuesday of each month.
- The labs run from 6-7:30pm, starting with a speaker, and followed by a demonstration by CBNERR educators.
- The labs will take place on Zoom. The link for Zoom will be sent to participants that register.
Discovery Labs are appropriate for all ages.
Discovery Labs are free.
Contact Sarah McGuire Nuss, 804-684-7878 for more information.