Community outreach is a priority for the CBNERR Education Department. Reserve staff provide environmental programs at Estuaries Day and Marine Science Day, as well as offering a Discovery Lab series open to the public on various marine science topics.
The Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Participants look through microscopes, observe live animals, partake in crafts and games, and view research posters. Both VIMS faculty and students participate as speakers, sharing their research with the general public in an intimate setting.
Tentative 2024 Dates and Topics
- January 17: Sea Ice
- February 21: Beaches and Barrier Islands
- March 20: Echinoderms
- April 17: Bycatch Reduction
- September 18: Predators of the Sky (Osprey)
Registration is required for all labs. Registration will open in December for the first lab.
Time and Place
- Discovery Labs typically take place on the third or fourth Wednesday of each month.
- The labs run from 6-8:00pm, starting with exploration of the lab, the speaker at 6:30pm, and then more lab exploration.
- The labs will take place on the VIMS campus in Gloucester Point, at the Catlett-Burress Education Lab.
Discovery Labs are appropriate for all ages.
Discovery Labs are free.
Contact Sarah McGuire Nuss, 804-684-7878 for more information.