Community outreach is a priority for the CBNERR Education Department. Reserve staff provide environmental programs at Estuaries Day and Marine Science Day, as well as offering a Discovery Lab series open to the public on various marine science topics.
The Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Participants look through microscopes, observe live animals, partake in crafts and games, and view research posters. Both VIMS faculty and students participate as speakers, sharing their research with the general public in an intimate setting. For more information about the upcoming Discovery Labs, check out our 2020 flyer.
**We have extended the 2020 Discovery Lab series in a virtual, online format through August. We encourage you to attend the Discovery Labs at 6pm on the date listed below, and can be accessed on the CBNERR Facebook page - www.facebook.com/CBNERRV. Educators from CBNERR, and the speaker for each month, will also be online at 6pm to answer questions through Facebook! No registration required for these virtual labs.
- January 21: Sharks
- February 18: Fossils
- March 24: Mollusks (virtual)
- April 21: Our Coast (virtual)
- May 19: Seagrasses (virtual)
- June 16: Turtles (virtual)
- July 21: Marine Debris and Plastics (virtual)
- August 18: Bottom of the Bay (virtual)
Registration is required for all labs.
Time and Place
- Discovery Labs typically take place on the third or fourth Tuesday of each month.
- The labs run from 6-8 pm with a speaker at 6:30 pm.
- The labs take place in the Catlett-Burress Research and Education Teaching lab (Building U13 on
- Driving directions (pdf).
Discovery Labs are appropriate for all ages.
Discovery Labs are free.
Discovery Days (Homeschools)
There will be no Discovery Days offered in 2020.
Contact Sarah McGuire Nuss, 804-684-7878 for more information.