Community outreach is a priority for the CBNERR Education Department. Reserve staff provide environmental programs at Estuaries Day and Marine Science Day, as well as offering a Discovery Lab series open to the public on various marine science topics.
The Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Participants look through microscopes, observe live animals, partake in crafts and games, and view research posters. Both VIMS faculty and students participate as speakers, sharing their research with the general public in an intimate setting.
- January 21: Sharks
- February 18: Fossils (register here)
- March 24: Mollusks
- April 21: Our Coast
Registration is required. Registration forms are available for the current month's lab only.
Time and Place
- Discovery Labs typically take place on the third or fourth Tuesday of each month.
- The labs run from 6-8 pm with a speaker at 6:30 pm.
- The labs take place in the Catlett-Burress Research and Education Teaching lab (Building U13 on
- Driving directions (pdf).
Discovery Labs are appropriate for all ages.
Discovery Labs are free.
Discovery Days (Homeschools)
There will be no Discovery Days offered in 2020.
Contact Sarah McGuire Nuss, 804-684-7878 for more information.