As a team member of the Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Virginia, I manage the Environmental Data Center and support the water quality monitoring program conducted at our reserve sites and throughout the shallow waters of the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. My research focuses on the assessment of water quality conditions and associated ecological implications in shallow water, estuarine and coastal environments. As part of this scope, I am interested in the spatial and statistical analysis of water quality monitoring datasets, working closely with our state, federal, and local partners to support management decisions, and developing web application platforms that serve as an interface between science and the community.
- M.S., Central Washington University, 2005
- B.S., James Madison University, 2003
- Environmental Data Center
- Virginia Estuarine and Coastal Observing System (VECOS)
- Chesapeake Monitoring Cooperative Data Explorer
- Virginia Data Explorer
- Plaisted HK, Shields EC, Novak AB, Peck CP, Schenck F, Carr J, Duffy PA, Evans NT, Fox SE, Heck SM, Hudson R, Mattera T, Moore KA, Neikirk B, Parrish DB, Peterson BJ, Short FT, and Tinoco AI. 2022. Influence of Rising Water Temperature on the Temperate Seagrass Species Eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) in the Northeast USA. Frontiers in Marine Science. 9:920699.
- Shields, E. C., D. Parrish, and K. Moore. 2019. Short-Term Temperature Stress Results in Seagrass Community Shift in a Temperate Estuary. Estuaries and Coasts. 37: 20-30.
- Shields, E. C., D. Parrish., and K. Moore. 2018. Adaptations by Zostera marina Dominated Seagrass Meadows in Response to Water Quality and Climate Forcing. Diversity. 10: 125.
- Moore, K.A., E.C. Shields, D.B. Parrish. 2014.Impacts of episodic climatic events on Zostera marina (eelgrass) and its interactions with Ruppia maritima (widgeongrass). Estuaries and Coasts. 37: 20-30.
- Shields, E. C., K. Moore, and D. Parrish. 2012. Influences of Salinity and Light Availability on Abundance and Distribution of Tidal Freshwater and Oligohaline Submersed Aquatic Vegetation. Estuaries and Coasts. 35: 515-526.
- Moore, K. A., E. Shields, D. Parrish, and R. Orth. 2012. Eelgrass survival in two contrasting systems: role of turbidity and summer water temperatures. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 448: 247–258.
- Orth, R. J., K. Moore, S. Marion, D. Wilcox, and D. Parrish. 2012. Seed addition facilitates eelgrass recovery in a coastal bay system. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 448: 177-195.