Marine Education Specialist
Phone: (804) 684-7175
Office: Davis Hall 234
Unit: Marine Advisory Program
A biologist by training, I spent several years in marine research before switching gears into public outreach. I now work in support of ocean literacy by developing digital media for global audiences, facilitating professional development for science teachers, and mentoring graduate students with an interest in science communication.
- Bridge Ocean Education Resource Center
- Virginia Coastal Ecosystems Field Course
- Virginia Scientists & Educators Alliance (VASEA)
- K-12 Professional Development Workshops
- Master Oyster Gardener Program
- Chefs' Seafood Symposium
- Workforce Development
- Broader Impacts
- Outreach Scientist, Inner Space Center / Nautilus Live (2010-2013)
- Outreach Scientist, Census of Marine Life (2005-2010)
- Scientist in Residence, RiverzEdge Arts (2011-2013)
- GSO Delegate, RISD / RI EPSCoR Data Visualization Initiative (2009-2013)
- Graduate Teaching Fellow (GK-12), National Science Foundation / URI GSO (2003-2005)
McGuire Nuss S., Sharpe K., Brill C.H., Lawrence L., Cackowski C. (2019). Building Capacity for Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences. In: Fauville G., Payne D., Marrero M., Lantz-Andersson A., Crouch F. (eds) Exemplary Practices in Marine Science Education. Springer, Cham; Springer International.
Brill C.H., Lawrence L., McGuire Nuss S., Cackowski C., Sharpe K. (2019). Out of the Tower and into the Classroom: Marine Science Graduate Students as K-12 Classroom Contributors. In: Fauville G., Payne D., Marrero M., Lantz-Andersson A., Crouch F. (eds) Exemplary Practices in Marine Science Education. Springer, Cham; Springer International.
Cackowski, C. (2010). Census of Marine Life: Bringing a Decade of Global Research into the Classroom. The Earth Scientist. 26(1), 18-24.
To learn more about education and outreach at VIMS, visit our Multimedia Resources Center.