The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) has a three-part mission of research, education, and advisory service. Our over-arching goals are to
- Make seminal advances in understanding marine systems through research and discovery,
- Translate research findings into practical solutions to complex issues of societal importance, and
- Provide new generations of researchers, educators, problem solvers, and managers with a marine-science education of unsurpassed quality.
To meet our mission, the people of VIMS
- Address cutting-edge scientific questions,
- Develop and apply technologically advanced approaches,
- Communicate research results and new technologies to both professional and public audiences,
- Consult with and guide decision-makers as they apply new knowledge to practical problems, and
- Train future generations of young scientists to continue this tradition.