William G. Reay
Research Associate Professor; Director, Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Virginia
Phone : (804) 684-7119
Office : Wilson House 103
Department : Physical Sciences
Program : Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Virginia
Interests : Watershed hydrology; ground water/surface water interactions.
- B.S., George Mason University
- M.S., College of William and Mary
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
My research interest encompasses two focal areas including:
- (1) Watershed hydrology and nutrient dynamics with an emphasis on the study of groundwater-surface water interactions, and;
- (2) wetland and ecotone response/adaptability to climate change and episodic impacts.
- Water-quality monitoring initiative for Chesapeake Bay water-quality standards assessments
- Assessment of tidal emergent wetland vulnerability in the York River estuary
- Maintenance of NOAA Chesapeake Bay interpretative buoy system in Virginia waters
- Field and modeling studies of selected Newport News Shipbuilding storm water discharge outfalls in support of regulatory tidal water mixing zone compliance
- Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve operations support.
- Cammer, S., W. Reay and E. Canuel. Influence of Hurricane Irene on the stream flux, composition and reactivity of dissolved organic matter draining a mid-Atlantic coastal plain watershed. Submitted to Biogeochemistry.
- Kirwan, M., D. Walters, W. Reay and J. Carr. 2016. Sea level driven marsh expansion in a coupled model of marsh erosion and migration. Geophysical Research Letters. 43,doi: 10.1002/2016GL068507.
- Buskey, E., M. Bundy, M. Ferner, D. Porter, W. Reay, E. Smith, and D. Trueblood. 2015. System-wide monitoring program of the National Estuarine Research Reserve System: Research to address coastal management issues. Coastal Ocean Observing Systems: Advances and Syntheses. Editors Y. Liu, H. Kerkering and R.H. Weisberg. Elsevier Books. pp. 392-415.
- Reay, W.G. 2009. Water Quality within the York River Estuary. Journal of Coastal Research SI (57): 23-39.
- Stanhope, J., I. Anderson and W.G. Reay. 2009. Base Flow Nutrient Discharges from Lower Delmarva Peninsula Watersheds of Virginia. Journal of Environmental Quality 38: 2070-2083.
- Reay, W.G. and S. Lerberg. 2008. Living Shorelines: Restoring Multi-Function Buffers on Coastal Shorelines. Water Resources Impact 10(3): 9-11.
- Gong, W., J. Shen and W.G. Reay. 2007. The Hydrodynamic Response of the York River Estuary to Tropical Cyclone Isabel, 2003. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 73: 695-710.
- Reay, W.G. and K. Moore. 2005. Impacts of Tropical Cyclone Isabel on Shallow Water Quality of the York River Estuary. In: Hurricane Isabel in Perspective. K. Sellner (ed.) CRC Publication 05-160. pp. 135-144.
- Reay, W.G. 2004. Septic Tank Impacts on Ground Water Quality and Nearshore Sediment Nutrient Flux. Ground Water 42(7): 1079-1089.
- Castro, M.S., C. Driscoll, T.E. Jordan, W.G. Reay, and W. Boynton. 2003. Sources of Nitrogen to Estuaries in the United States. Estuaries 26(3): 803-814.
- Robinson, M.A. and W.G. Reay. 2002. Ground Water Flow Analysis of a Mid-Atlantic Outer Coastal Plain Watershed, Virginia, USA. Groundwater 40(2): 123-131.
- Robinson, M.A., D.L. Gallagher, W.G. Reay. 1998. Field Observation of Tidal and Seasonal Variations in Groundwater Discharge to Estuarine Surface Waters. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation (Winter): 83-92.
- Gallagher, D.L., A.M. Dietrich, W.G. Reay, M. Hayes, and G.M. Simmons, Jr. 1996. Groundwater Discharge of Agricultural Pesticides and Nutrients to Estuarine Waters. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation (Winter): 118-129.
- Reay, W.G., D.L. Gallagher and G.M. Simmons, Jr. 1995. Sediment-Water Column Oxygen and Nutrient Fluxes in Nearshore Environments of the Lower Delmarva Peninsula, USA. Marine Ecology Progress Series 118(1-3): 215-227.
- Reay, W.G., D.L. Gallagher and G.M. Simmons, Jr. 1992. Groundwater Discharge and Its Impact on Surface Water Quality in a Chesapeake Bay Inlet. Water Resources Bulletin 28(6): 1121-1134.
Selected Service Activities
- National Estuarine Research Reserve Association (Executive Board; President 2013-2015)
- Chesapeake Bay Sentinel Site Cooperative (Steering Board)
- Virginia Coastal Policy Team (Voting member)
- Middle Peninsula Virginia Planning District Commission (Gloucester County Commissioner)
- Virginia First District Environment Advisory Council.
- 2005. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Environmental Hero Award
- 2004. Coastal America Spirit Award, Elizabeth River Project
- 2003. Distinguished Service Award, National Estuarine Research Reserve Association
- 2000. Coastal America Partnership Award, Fort McHenry Wetland Restoration Team
- 1996. U.S. Patent for Flow Rate Logging Seepage Meter (Patent No. 5,497,663)