Don't see your agency? Go here to find which administrator to contact.
The Director of Sponsored Programs is a senior-level professional position that reports to the Chief Financial Officer of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Ms. Motley’s primary responsibility is to direct the pre- and post-award activities associated with the external funding received in support of VIMS research and advisory mission. These activities include funding identification; proposal preparation and submission; contract negotiation; and regulatory compliance of federal, state, local, and private funding agencies. All Office of Sponsored Programs work is to protect and support the interests of the Commonwealth, VIMS, and the principal investigator.
Education & Experience
Connie M. Motley has been with William & Mary, Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) since 1988. She started her career at VIMS as a Laboratory Aide in the Fisheries Science Department before joining the Office of Sponsored Programs in 1992. She served as Assistant Director for 2 years before being promoted to Director in May 2016. She has completed the following continuing education workshops and conferences:
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) - Fundamentals of Sponsored Project
- Administration and Financial Research Administration II Conference: Making Sense of Research $
- The Southern Association of College and University Business Officers (SACUBO) – Basic Fund Accounting
- U.S. Department of Commerce National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) – 2002 Financial Assistance Workshop, 2005 NOAA Grants Administration: The Wave of the Future Workshop and 2010 Financial Assistance Workshop
- National Science Foundation (NSF) – Regional Grants Conference
- Mid-Atlantic Banner User’s Group (MABUG) Conference
- U.S. Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and US Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) – Export Control Seminar
- Virginia Chapter of the Society of Research Administrators (VA-SRA) – Riding the Tide of Research Administration
- Fred Pryor Seminars CareerTrack - How to Communicate with Tact and Professionalism.
Ms. Motley graduated from Christopher Newport University with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in 1994.