- B.A., Amherst College
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
The focus areas of my most recent research are estuarine particle properties and dynamics, estuarine water clarity, and estuarine water quality. My technical approach involves collection of new observations, analyses of new and existing data sets, numerical modeling, and the intersection of all of the above in the utilization of coastal observation and prediction systems.
Selected Recent Projects
- Jul 2020 - Jun 2021, "Water quality monitoring for Bay water quality standards assessment." Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. C.T. Friedrichs, Principal Investigator, $366,150.
- Oct 2018 - Jul 2019, "Evaluation of environmental concerns in Buchanan Creek." Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. C.T. Friedrichs, Principal Investigator, $250,000.
- Apr 2015 - Apr 2020, "Interactions of estuarine physics, sediment, and organic matter in determining suspended particle properties, their spatial and temporal distribution, and resulting water clarity." National Science Foundation, Division of Ocean Sciences. C.T. Friedrichs, Principal Investigator, $691,150.
- Sep 2013 - Aug 2018, "Transitioning an estuarine hypoxia model to operations via a Coastal Ocean Modeling Testbed in the Chesapeake Bay." NOAA US-IOOS Coastal and Ocean Modeling Testbed, M.A.M Friedrichs, Principal Investigator, C.T. Friedrichs, Co-Principal Investigator, $533,212.
- Apr 2011 - Mar 2016, "Improved observation, analysis, and modeling of fine sediment dynamics in turbid, biologically active coastal environments." National Science Foundation, Division of Ocean Sciences. C.T. Friedrichs, Principal Investigator, $644,025.
Selected Recent Publications
- Bowers, D.G., E.M., Roberts, A.M. Hoguane, K.A. Fall, G.M. Massey, and C.T. Friedrichs, 2020. Secchi disk measurements in turbid water. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 125(5): 2020JC016172. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JC016172
- Perkey, D.W., S.J. Smith, K.A. Fall, G.M. Massey, C.T. Friedrichs, and E.M. Hicks, 2020. Impacts of muddy bed aggregates on sediment transport and management in the tidal James River, VA. In press: ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering. 146(5). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WW.1943-5460.0000578
- Tarpley, D.R.N., C.K. Harris, C.T. Friedrichs, and C.R. Sherwood, 2019. Tidal variation in cohesive sediment distribution and sensitivity to flocculation and bed consolidation in an idealized, partially-mixed estuary. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 7(334): 1-27. https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse7100334
- Turner, J.S., M.L. Kellogg, G.M. Massey, and C.T. Friedrichs, 2019. Minimal effects of oyster aquaculture on local water quality: examples from southern Chesapeake Bay. PLoS ONE, 14(11): e0224768. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0224768
- Bever, A.J., M.A.M. Friedrichs, C.T. Friedrichs, and M.E. Scully, 2018. Estimating hypoxic volume in the Chesapeake Bay using two continuously sampled oxygen profiles. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 123: 6392–6407. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JC014129