- February 2, 2024 - all application materials must be received by this date
- March 15, 2024- target date for notification of acceptance
- Approximately 15-20% of applicants may expect a telephone interview by the target date; if you do not hear from us by April 15 and you must decide on another offer, please contact us via [[v|intern,e-mail]]. Students not offered a position will be notified by e-mail during early to mid-May.
- The following statement is from the NSF Ocean Science Program office and pertains to all Ocean Science funded REU sites: "All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th or later to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the Division of Ocean Science's REU Program Director, Lisa Rom, at elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709."
(tentative schedule, to be revised as additional information becomes available on campus housing)
- May 26 (Sunday)—dormitory opens on the W&M campus, Williamsburg, VA (if in-person program is operating normally)
- May 28 (Tuesday)—official program begins with 8:15 am meeting with TA at W&M dorm, followed by noon meeting with mentors in Andrews Hall, Room 326, VIMS campus, Gloucester Point
- July 31 (Wednesday)—final presentations of summer research
- August 1, 2 (Th, F)—complete final papers
- August 2 (Friday)—final program ends
- August 3 (Saturday)—depart for home; W&M dorms close at noon.
Students on quarter schedules may be accommodated if their quarters end too late to begin May 26th.
Stipends and Other Financial Support
Interns will receive:
- a stipend of $6,825 for the 10-week program (which includes a $40/week food allowance). Payment will be in three equal amounts - 1st ASAP after start of program (if student has completed all financial forms needed), 2nd halfway through program, and last payment after completion of all program requirements.
- housing in a dormitory on the W&M main campus, and
- transportation between campuses.
In addition, most interns will receive partial to full travel costs to and from the program from their home or university. Please note: Travel arrangements must be made in conjunction with the REU program office, and interns will not be reimbursed for tickets they purchase without prior written permission of the Program Coordinator or Program Director.