In-Person vs. Virtual Program consideration
Visiting at VIMS/William & Mary conveys a shared expectation of abiding by university policy, which is subject to change as conditions warrant. As of September 21, 2021, those requirements include masking indoors; masking outdoors is encouraged when unable to maintain social distancing. Vaccination is required of all William & Mary students, faculty and staff, and it is strongly encouraged for all external visitors in alignment with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance. We create these shared expectations of visiting participants in keeping with William & Mary's core values of Belonging within this community and Respect for one another as individuals, and in recognition of the risks inherent to gathering amid pandemic.
Like many of you, the VIMS REU Program is eagerly looking forward to summer 2022. Currently we plan to have the program in person on campus. However, if conditions change and that is not possible, we will consider a spectrum of possibilities from this end member, all the way out to a 100% virtual model (as the program was run during the summer of 2020).
- February 10, 2022 - all application materials must be received by this date
- March 15, 2022- target date for notification of acceptance
- Approximately 15-20% of applicants may expect a telephone interview by the target date; if you do not hear from us by April 15 and you must decide on another offer, please contact us via [[v|intern,e-mail]]. Students not offered a position will be notified by e-mail during early to mid-May.
- The following statement is from the NSF Ocean Science Program office and pertains to all Ocean Science funded REU sites: "All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th or later to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the Division of Ocean Science's REU Program Director, Lisa Rom, at elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709."
(tentative schedule, to be revised as additional information becomes available on campus housing)
- May 29 (Sunday)—dormitory opens on the W&M campus, Williamsburg, VA (if in-person program is operating normally)
- May 31 (Tuesday)—official program begins with 8:15 am meeting with TA at W&M dorm, followed by 10 am meeting with mentors in Andrews Hall, Room 326, VIMS campus, Gloucester Point
- August 3 (Wednesday)—final presentations of summer research
- August 4, 5 (Th, F)—complete final papers
- August 5 (Friday)—final program ends
- August 6 (Saturday)—depart for home; W&M dorms close at noon.
Students on quarter schedules may be accommodated if their quarters end too late to begin May 29th.
Stipends and Other Financial Support
Interns will receive:
- a stipend of $6,100 for the 10-week program (plus a $400 food allowance if in person),
- housing in a dormitory on the W&M main campus, and
- transportation between campuses.
In addition, most interns will receive partial to full travel costs to and from the program from their home or university. Please note: Travel arrangements must be made in conjunction with the REU program office, and interns will not be reimbursed for tickets they purchase without prior written permission of the Program Coordinator or Program Director.