The Chief Operations Officer reports to the VIMS Dean and Director. He/she is responsible for areas of coordination, operations and support, and decision-making in these areas. The office undertakes special projects, such as developing the institutional policy for data management.
The principal responsibilities of the position are:
- Implementation and completion of special projects and other duties as assigned by the Dean and Director;
- Management, strategic planning, and oversight of Facilities Management, Safety & Environmental Services, ITNS, Vessel Operations and the Analytical Services Lab;
- Coordination of institutional space allocation and resources that are related to infrastructure;
- Development, in conjunction with directors and managers, of institutional policies and procedures, including interpretation and implementation; and,
- Service as the Institute's representative to agency and stakeholders meetings when the Dean and Director is unable to attend.