B.A., Mathematics, Western New England College
M.BMA, Biomathematics, North Carolina State University
Ph.D., Biomathematics, North Carolina State University
Quantitative fisheries ecology with particular emphasis on predator-prey interactions and ecosystem-based approaches to fisheries management. Population dynamics modeling and stock assessment of exploited marine resources.
- Data collection and analysis in support of multispecies stock assessments in the mid-Atlantic: Northeast Area Monitoring and Assessment Program Nearshore Trawl Program. NEAMAP. Funded by MAFMC Research Set Aside.
- Design and implementation of ChesMMAP - Chesapeake Bay Multispecies Monitoring and Assessment Program, funded by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Virginia Marine Resources Commission.
- VIMS Shark Research Program. Funded by NOAA/NMFS.
- Stock assessment and population monitoring of American shad in Chesapeake Bay, funded by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Virginia Marine Resources Commission
(2012 – present; *Indicates my graduate student; †Indicates graduate student collaboration)
- Thanassekos, S., R.J. Latour, and M.C. Fabrizio. In press. An individual-based approach to year-class strength estimation. ICES Journal of Marine Science.
- Buchheister, A., T.J. Miller, E.D. Houde, D.H. Secor, and R.J. Latour. 2016. Spatial and temporal dynamics of Atlantic menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus) recruitment along the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. ICES Journal of Marine Science 73:1147-1159.
- †Schlenker, L.S., R.J. Latour, R.W. Brill, and J.E. Graves. 2016. Physiological stress and post-release mortality of White Marlin (Kajikia albida) caught in the United States recreational fishery. Conservation Physiology 4:doi:10.1093/conphys/cov066.
- *Buchheister, A. and R.J. Latour. 2016. Dynamic trophic linkages in a large estuarine system - support for supply-driven dietary changes using delta generalized additive mixed models. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 73:5-17.
- Latour, R.J. 2016. Explaining patterns of pelagic fish abundance in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Estuaries & Coasts 39:233-247.
- *Buchheister, A., M.J. Wilberg, T.J. Miller, and R.J. Latour. 2015. Simulating bottom-up effects on predator productivity and consequences for the rebuilding timeline of a depleted population. Ecological Modelling 311:48-62.
- *Sobocinski, K.L. and R.J. Latour. 2015. Trophic transfer in seagrass systems: Estimating seasonal production of an abundant seagrass fish, Bairdiella chrysoura, in lower Chesapeake Bay. Marine Ecology Progress Series 523:157-174.
- †Funkey, C.P., R.J. Latour, and D.A. Bronk. 2015. Abiotic effects on effluent dissolved organic nitrogen along an estuarine transect. Water Environment Research 87:258-265.
- *Buchheister, A. and R.J. Latour. 2015. Diets and trophic guild structure of a diverse fish assemblage in Chesapeake Bay, USA. Journal of Fish Biology 86:967-992.
- †Hudson, J., D.K. Steinberg, T.T. Sutton, J.E. Graves, and R.J. Latour. 2014. Myctophid feeding ecology and carbon transport along the Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Deep Sea Research I 93:104-116.
- *Sweetman, C.J., T.T. Sutton, M. Vecchione, and R.J. Latour. 2014. Diet composition of Bathylagus euryops (Osmeriformes: Bathylagidae) along the Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Deep Sea Research I 92:107-114.
- †Lefcheck, J.S.,*A. Buchheister, †K.M. Laumann*M. Stratton, *K.L. Sobocinski, †S. Chak, †T.R. Clardy, P.L. Reynolds, R.J. Latour, J.E. Duffy. 2014. Dimensions of biodiversity in Chesapeake Bay demersal fishes: patterns and drivers through space and time. Ecosphere 5:art14
- †Balazik, M.T., B.B. Langford, G.C. Garman, M.L. Fine, J.K. Stewart, R.J. Latour, and S.P. McIninch. 2013. Comparison of MS222 and electronarcosis as anesthetics on cortisol levels in juvenile Atlantic sturgeon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142:1640-1643.
- *Sweetman, C.J., T.T. Sutton, M. Vecchione, and R.J. Latour. 2013. Distribution of the biomass dominant pelagic fish, Bathylagus euryops (Argentiniformes: Microstomatidae), along the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Deep-Sea Research I 78:16-23.
- *Buchheister, A, C.F. Bonzek, J. Gartland, and R.J. Latour. 2013. Patterns and drivers of the demersal fish community of Chesapeake Bay. Marine Ecological Progress Series 481:161-180.
- *Sobocinski, K.L., J.J. Orth, M.C. Fabrizio, and R.J. Latour. 2013. Historical comparison of fish community structure in lower Chesapeake Bay seagrass habitats. Estuaries & Coasts 36:775-794.
- †Balazik, M.T., S.P. McIninch, G.C. Garman, and R.J. Latour. 2012. Age and growth of Atlantic sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus) in the James River, USA. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141:1074-1080.
- *Lynch, P.D., K.W. Shertzer, and R.J. Latour. 2012. Performance of methods used to estimate indices of abundance for highly migratory species. Fisheries Research 125-126:27-39.
- Latour, R.J., D.T. Gauthier, J. Gartland, C.F. Bonzek, *K.A. McNamee, and W.K. Vogelbein. 2012. Impacts of mycobacteriosis on the growth of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 69: 247-258.
- Latour, R.J., E.J. Hilton, *P.D. Lynch, T.D. Tuckey, B.E. Watkins, and J.E. Olney. 2012. Evaluating the current status of American shad (Alosa sapidissima) stocks in three Virginia Rivers. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science 4: 302-311.
- James Gartland (Ph.D.)
- Kristene Parsons (Ph.D.)
- Cassidy Peterson (Ph.D.)
- Mark Stratton (Ph.D.)
- Christopher Sweetman (Ph.D.)
- Zoemma Warshafksy (M.S.) co-advisor
- Cassidy Peterson, M.S., 2016. Thesis: Patterns of abundance and community dynamics in Atlantic coastal sharks.
- Carissa Gervasi, M.S., 2015. Thesis: The reproductive biology of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay.
- Kathryn Sobocinski, Ph.D., 2014. Dissertation: Fishes in seagrass habitats: Species composition, trophic interactions, and production.
- Andre Buchheister, Ph.D., 2013. Dissertation: Structure, drivers, and trophic interactions of the demersal fish community in Chesapeake Bay.
- Patrick Lynch, Ph.D., 2012. Dissertation: Habitat and fish population dynamics: Advancing stock
assessments of highly migratory species.
- Christopher J. Sweetman, M.S., 2012. Thesis: Distribution and feeding ecology of Bathylagus euryops (TELEOSTEI: MICROSTOMATIDAE) along the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge, from Iceland to the Azores
- Catarina Wor: M.S., 2012. Thesis: Evaluating the impact of stock structure uncertainty in stock assessments of sailfish in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Andrij Horodysky, Ph.D., 2009. Dissertation: Comparative sensory and energetic ecology of sciaenid fishes and their competitors in Chesapeake Bay, VA
- Justine Woodward, M.S., 2009. Thesis: Investigating the relationships between recruitment indices and estimates of adult abundance for striped bass, weakfish, and Atlantic croaker.
- Andre Buchheister, M.S., 2008. Thesis: Isotope dynamics in summer flounder tissues, with application to diet assessment in Chesapeake Bay.
- Patrick Lynch, M.S., 2007. Thesis: The feeding ecology of Atlantic menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus) in Chesapeake Bay.
- Kathleen McNamee, M.S., 2007. Thesis: Trophic ecology and growth of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay, with reference to mycobacteriosis.
- 2016. Zoemma Warshafsky, Mary Hedrick Causey Memorial Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2016. Mark Stratton, Dean's Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2015. Mark Stratton, Nancy S. and Henry George Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2014. Carissa Gervasi, Best M.S. student presentation, 7th International Symposium on Aquatic Animal Health.
- 2014. Carissa Gervasi, Snieszko Student Travel Award, AFS Fish Health Section
- 2014. Andre Buchheister, Thatcher Prize for Excellence in Graduate and Professional Study, College of William & Mary
- 2014. Patrick Lynch, W.F. Thompson Best Student Paper Award published in 2012, American Institute of Fishery Research Biologists
- 2013. Andre Buchheister, Eileen Setzler-Hamilton Memorial Scholarship, AFS Tidewater Chapter
- 2013. Cassidy Peterson, Harry & Barbara Hager Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2013. Cassidy Peterson, Gloucester Point Rotary Club - Ernest J. Warriner Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2013. Kathryn Sobocinski, The Matthew Fontaine Maury Society Student Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2013. Mark Stratton, SunTrust Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2013. C.J. Sweetman, VIMS Council Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2012. Andre Buchheister, Deans Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2012. Carissa Gervasi, Grey Allison & H. Renwick Dunlap Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2012. Patrick Lynch, Best paper by a Ph.D. student, VIMS
- 2011-2012. Mark Stratton, Edward Holland Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2011. Mark Stratton, William J. Hargis, Jr. Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2011. Catarina Wor, Perry Travel Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2011. Patrick Lynch, Beazley Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2010. Kathryn Sobocinski, QEA Anchor Scholarship
- 2010. Patrick Lynch, Best paper by an M.S. student, VIMS
- 2008-2011. Kathryn Sobocinski, Hunter B. Andrews, Jr. Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2007. Andrij Horodysky, The Matthew Fontaine Maury Society Student Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2006. Andre Buchheister, William J. Hargis, Jr. Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- MSCI 504 Fundamentals of Statistical Methods and Data Analysis (Instructor)
- MSCI 528 Marine Fisheries Science (co-Instructor)
- MSCI 548 Marine Fisheries Science and Management (Lecturer, Summer course for high school teachers)
- MSCI 649 Modeling Biological and Ecological Systems (co-Instructor)
- MSCI 671 Fisheries Population Dynamics (Instructor)
Professional / Advisory Service
- Invited Expert, Panel discussion of management of forage fishes, MAFMC, Apr 2013
- Member, NMFS Advisory Panel for Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (SEDAR Pool), 2012 - present
- Member, ASMFC Analytical Committee for NEAMAP, 2012 - present
- Member, MAFMC, Scientific and Statistical Committee, 2008 - present -Scientific Uncertainty Subcommittee, 2009 - present
- Member, ASMFC Atlantic Menhaden Technical Committee, 2006 - present
- Stock Assessment Subcommittee May 2007 - present
- Chairman, May 2009 - May 2011
- Vice-chairman, May 2008 - May 2009
- Chairman, 49th Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Review Committee (SARC 49), Dec 2009, NEFSC
- Member, external panel to review the NEFSC Foodweb Dynamics Program, Jul 2009, NEFSC
- Member, ASMFC Multispecies Technical Committee, 2002 - present
- MSVPA Subcommittee, 2005 - present
- Invited Expert, ASMFC American Shad Technical Committee, Jun 2006
- Invited Expert, Meeting of the Virginia Senate Committee on Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources, Nov 2006
- Member, VIMS panel to advise Virginia Marine Resources Commission on permitting for King William Reservoir, 2004
- Member, ASMFC Assessment Science Committee, 2003 - 2008
- Member, Chesapeake Bay Ecosystem Modeling Advisory Panel, 2001 - 2007
- Invited Expert, ASMFC Striped Bass Tagging Subcommittee, 2000 - 2004, 2012