- August 1, 2023 - Application opens
- January 4, 2024 - Deadline for submission of the online application, this includes:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- The online payment of the $44 (US) non-refundable application fee. The application is not complete until the fee has been paid or waived.
- TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo test scores (if applicable)
- All letters of recommendation from your referees
- April 15, 2024 - Latest date for notification of admission
GRE scores are not required for admission to the School of Marine Science (SMS). They are not used by the SMS or Admissions Committee to evaluate or rank applicants, and cannot be submitted through the application website. Individual faculty members may wish to see unofficial GRE scores, but they will not be shared with the Admissions Committee or other faculty members. We recommend that applicants for the M.S. or Ph.D. programs contact prospective faculty advisors to inquire if they wish to see GRE scores. Applicants for the M.A. program do not need to submit unofficial GRE scores to the M.A. Program Director.
See our Application Instructions for more details.
M.S. & Ph.D. Applicants Only
As you apply, please review descriptions of the research programs of our faculty and contact faculty members with whom you share research interests. Discuss with them specific research areas, funding opportunities, and program information.
Information about the online application system is available here.
Contact Information for Application MaterialsOffice of Academic Affairs - AdmissionsSchool of Marine ScienceGloucester Point, VA 23062 USAe-mail: [[admissions, Office of Academic Affairs - Admissions]]
Telephone: (804) 684-7105