The Graduate Catalog contains the official academic policies of the School of Marine Science and over-arching policies of William & Mary. The Handbook provides details of associated procedures and other information that is designed to help students understand and meet academic program and degree requirements. All graduate program forms are available electronically. Note: You must be on the VIMS intranet to access the forms.
For any questions, contact the [[registrar, VIMS/SMS Registrar]].
Note: the next section is under construction (July 27, 2015)
Milestones and associated timelines are based on your date of entry to SMS and your degree program. The full list in the order of completion is given below, with links to further information. You may also check your milestone status at any time. login (intranet only)
- Major Advisor and Declaration of Department (8 months)
- Advisory Committee and Research Topic Selection (9 months)
- Pre-Qualifying Interview (12 months for M.S.; 18 months for Ph.D.)
- Intent to Bypass Notification (submit before taking the Comprehensive Exam; for students seeking the M.S. bypass option, only)
- Comprehensive Exam (21 months; for Ph.D. students, as well as those seeking the M.S. bypass option)
- Request to Bypass (24 months; for those seeking M.S. bypass option)
- Qualifying Exam & Prospectus Defense (18 months for M.S., 30 months for Ph.D., including via bypass)
- Admission to Candidacy (24 months for M.S., 34 months for Ph.D.)
- Thesis or Dissertation Defense and Public Seminar Presentation (3 months prior to completion of degree requirements)
- Completion of Degree Requirements (36 months for M.S., 48, 60 or 72 months for Ph.D.)
Other Requirements - under construction (August 2015)