Mary C. Fabrizio
Associate Professor of Marine Science
Professor of Marine Science :
Email : [[mfabrizio]]
Phone : (804) 684-7308
Office : Fisheries Science Lab 135
Department : Fisheries Science
Interests : Fish population dynamics, habitat, fish movement, fish ecology; fishery-independent surveys
- B.S., Summa Cum Laude, Biological Sciences, 1978, Fordham University, New York, NY
- Ph.D., Biological Oceanography, 1985, Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- Recruitment dynamics of Chesapeake Bay fishes (Particularly striped bass, summer flounder, American eel, and Atlantic croaker)
- Spatial ecology of estuarine fishes
- Sampling designs for fishery-independent surveys
- Virginia trawl survey for juvenile fishes (with T. Tuckey)
- Juvenile striped bass seine survey (with T. Tuckey)
- Recruitment of American eel to Virginia tributaries
- Physiological impacts of hypoxia on healthy and Mycobacterium-infected striped bass. Collaboration with D. Lapointe (St. Lawrence River Institute for Environmental Studies), W. K. Vogelbein (VIMS- Aquatic Animal Health Sciences), R. W. Brill (NOAA-Fisheries Service), and D. Gauthier (Old Dominion University-Biology Department).
- Physiological effects of hypoxia and environmental contaminants on Atlantic croaker in the Chesapeake and coastal bays. Collaboration with R. W. Brill (NOAA-Fisheries Service) and A. Johnson (University of Maryland-Eastern Shore).
- Individual-based, dynamic-landscape models of marine fishes incorporating ecophysiological constraints. B. Marcek dissertation research (NOAA-Sea Grant Population and Ecosystem Dynamics Fellowship) and collaboration with R. W. Brill (NOAA-Fisheries Service) and R. Humston (Washington and Lee University).
- Recruitment dynamics of striped bass in Chesapeake Bay. O. Phillips thesis research.
- Invasive blue catfish in Chesapeake Bay tributaries. Multiple projects aimed at estimating abundance (using mark-recapture studies), reproduction, and salinity tolerance. V. Nepal dissertation research; and collaboration with T. Tuckey and R. Latour.
- Gear calibration study for trawl and seine surveys.
- Marcek, B. J., M. C. Fabrizio, and J. E. Graves. In Press. Short-term habitat use of juvenile Atlantic Bluefin Tuna. Marine & Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science.
- Tuckey, T. D., and M. C. Fabrizio. In Press. Variability in fish tissue proximate composition is consistent with sublethal effects of hypoxia in Chesapeake Bay tributaries. Marine and Coastal Fisheries.
- Thanassekos,S., R. Latour, and M. C. Fabrizio. 2016. An individual-based approach to year-class strength estimation. ICES Journal of Marine Science. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsw067
- Schloesser, R. W.*, and M. C. Fabrizio. 2015. Relationships among proximate components and energy density of juvenile Atlantic estuarine fishes. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 144: 942-955.
- Nys, L.*, M. C. Fabrizio, and T. D. Tuckey. 2015. Multi-decadal variation in size of juvenile Summer Flounder (Paralichthys dentatus) in Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Sea Research 103: 50-58.
- Humphrey, J., M. J. Wilberg, E. D. Houde, and M. C. Fabrizio. 2014. Effects of temperature on young-of-the-year Atlantic Menhaden growth in Chesapeake Bay. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 143: 1255-1265.
- Lapointe, D., Vogelbein, W. K., Fabrizio, M. C., Gauthier, D. T. and Brill, R. W. 2014. Interactive influence of temperature, hypoxia and mycobacteriosis on adult striped bass (Morone saxatilis). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 108:113-127
- Henderson, M. J., M. C. Fabrizio, and J. A. Lucy. 2014. Movement patterns of summer flounder near an artificial reef: effects of fish size and environmental cues. Fisheries Research 153:1-8.
- Henderson, M. J., and M. C. Fabrizio. 2014. Small-scale vertical movements of summer flounder (Paralichthys dentatus) relative to diurnal, tidal, and temperature changes. Marine & Coastal Fisheries 6:108-118.
- Henderson, M. J., and M. C. Fabrizio. 2014. Estimation of summer flounder (Paralichthys dentatus) mortality rates using mark-recapture data from a recreational angler-tagging program. Fisheries Research 159:1-10.
- Fabrizio, M.C., J.P. Manderson and J.P. Pessutti. 2014. Home range and seasonal movements of black sea bass during their inshore residency at a mid-Atlantic Bight reef. Fishery Bulletin 112:82-97
- Henderson, M. J.*, and M.C. Fabrizio. 2013. Detecting noncompliance in the summer flounder recreational fishery using a mark-recapture growth model. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33:1039-1048.
- Xu, X.*, M. C. Newman, M.C. Fabrizio, and L. Liang. 2013. An ecologically-framed mercury survey of finfish of the lower Chesapeake Bay. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 65: 510-520.
- Fabrizio, M. C., J. P. Manderson and J. P. Pessutti. 2013. Habitat associations and dispersal of black sea bass from a mid-Atlantic Bight reef. Marine Ecology Progress Series 482: 241-253.
- Tuckey, T. D., and M. C. Fabrizio. 2013. Influence of survey design on fish assemblages: implications from a study in Chesapeake Bay tributaries. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 142: 957-973.
- Sobocinski, K. L., R. J. Orth, M. C. Fabrizio, and R. J. Latour. 2013. Historical comparison of fish community structure in lower Chesapeake Bay seagrass habitats. Estuaries and Coasts. 36: 775-794.
- Capossela, K. M., M. C. Fabrizio, and R. W. Brill. 2013. Migratory and within-estuary behaviors of adult summer flounder (Paralichthys dentatus) in a lagoon system of the southern mid-Atlantic Bight. Fishery Bulletin 111: 189-201.
- Trushenski, J. T., J. D. Bowker, S. J. Cooke, D. Erdahl, T. Bell, J. R. MacMillan, R. P. Yanong, J. E. Hill, M. C. Fabrizio, J. E. Garvey, and S. Sharon. 2013. Issues regarding the use of sedatives in fisheries and the need for immediate-release options. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142: 156-170.
- Capossela, K. M., R. W. Brill, M. C. Fabrizio, and P. G. Bushnell. 2012. Metabolic and cardiorespiratory responses of summer flounder Paralichthys dentatus to hypoxia at two temperatures. Journal of Fish Biology. 81: 1043-1058.
- Woodland, R. J., D. H. Secor , M. C. Fabrizio and M. J. Wilberg. 2012. Comparing the nursery role of inner continental shelf and estuarine habitats for temperate marine fishes. Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Science. 99: 61-73.
- Williams, B. D., and M. C. Fabrizio. 2011. Detectability of estuarine fishes in a beach seine survey of tidal tributaries of lower Chesapeake Bay. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 140: 1340-1350.
- Schloesser, R. W., M. C. Fabrizio, R. J. Latour, G. C. Garman, R. Greenlee, M. Groves, J. Gartland. 2011. Ecological role of blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) in Chesapeake Bay communities and implications for management. In P. Michaletz and V. Travnichek, eds., Conservation, ecology, and management of worldwide catfish populations and habitats. American Fisheries Society, symosium 77: 369-382, Bethesda, MD.
- Fenske, K. H., M. J. Wilberg, D. H. Secor, and M. C. Fabrizio. 2011. An age- and sex-structured assessment model for American eels (Anguilla rostrata) in the Potomac River, Maryland. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68: 1024-1037.
- Fabrizio, M. C., F. S. Scharf, G. R. Shepherd, and J. E. Rosendale. 2008. Factors affecting catch-and-release mortality of bluefish. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:533-546.
- Hubert, W. and M. C. Fabrizio.2007. Relative abundance and catch/effort relationships. Chapter 7 in Analysis and Interpretation of Freshwater Fisheries Data. Edited by M. Brown and C. Guy. American Fisheries Society.
- M. C. Fabrizio and J. P. Pessutti. 2007. Long-term effects and recovery from surgical implantation of dummy transmitters in two marine fishes. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 351:243-254.
- Pollock, K. H., J. Yoshizaki, M. C. Fabrizio, and S. T. Schram. 2007. Factors affecting survival rates of a recovering lake trout population estimated by mark-recapture in Lake Superior, 1969-1996. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:185-194.
- Scharf, F. S., J. P. Manderson and M. C. Fabrizio. 2006. The effects of seafloor habitat complexity on survival of juvenile fishes: species-specific interactions with structural refuge. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 335:167-176.
- Fabrizio, M. C. 2004. Experimental design and sampling strategies for mixed-stock analysis. Chapter 23 in Stock Identification Methods. Edited by S. Cadrin, K. Friedland, and J. Waldman. Academic Press.
- Fabrizio, M. C., R. M. Dorazio, and S. T. Schram. 2001. Dynamics of individual growth in a recovering population of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences 58: 262-272.
- Fabrizio, M. C., J. Raz, and R. Bandekar. 2000. Using linear models with correlated errors to analyze changes in abundance of Lake Michigan fishes: 1973-1992. Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences 57:775-788.
- Fabrizio, M. C., J. D. Nichols, J. E. Hines, B. L. Swanson, and S. T. Schram. 1999. Modeling data from double-tagging experiments to estimate heterogeneous rates of tag shedding in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences 56:1409-1419.
- Justine Woodward, M.S. 2009. Thesis: Investigating the relationships between recruitment indices and estimates of adult abundance for striped bass, weakfish, and Atlantic croaker
- Karen Capossela, M.S. 2010. Thesis: Migration dynamics, within-estuary behaviors and cardiorespiratory responses of summer flounder to selected estuarine conditions
- Branson Williams, M.S. 2010. Thesis: Estimating detection probabilities in beach seine surveys for estuarine fishes
- Lynn Waterhouse, M.S. 2010. Thesis: Partial-year tagging models: accounting for changing tag visibility and delayed mixing.
- Mark Henderson, Ph.D. 2012. Dissertation: Movements, growth, and mortality of Chesapeake Bay summer flounder based on multiple tagging technologies.
- Lauren Nys, M.S. 2014. Thesis: Factors influencing growth and year-class strength of young-of-the-year summer flounder.
- Ryan Schloesser, Ph.D. 2015. Dissertation: Condition of juvenile fishes in estuarine nursery areas: Measuring performance and assessing temporal and spatial dynamics with multiple indices.
- Dominique Lapointe, 2010-2013. Physiological impacts of hypoxia on healthy and diseased striped bass. Currently at St. Lawrence River Institute of Environmental Sciences, Cornwall, Ontario, Canada.
- NMFS-Sea Grant Population and Ecosystem Dynamics Fellowship
- Mark Henderson, 2009-2012
- Benjamin Marcek, 2014-2017
- Virginia Sea Grant Fellowship
- Ryan Schloesser, 2012-2014
- Hall-Bonner Fellowship
- Branson Williams, 2006-2009
- Robert D. Ross Graduate Scholarship (AFS Virginia Chapter)
- Oceanside Conservation Corporation Research Scholarship
- Karen Capossela, 2007 and 2008
- Lauren Nys, 2012
- Eastern Shore Laboratory Research Fund
- Ryan Schloesser, 2011
- Lauren Nys, 2011
- Best Student Presentation, AFS Tidewater Chapter Meeting
- Karen Capossela, 2009
- Lauren Nys, 2014
- AFS Marine Fisheries Section Travel Award
- Justine Woodward, 2007
- Karen Capossela, 2009
- AFS Estuaries Section Travel Award
- AFS Equal Opportunities Section Travel Award
- Student Travel Award, International Tagging Symposium
- Reves Graduate Student International Travel Grant
- MSCI 528 / 501 F Marine Fisheries Science (with J. Graves)
- MSCI 669 Linear & Generalized Linear Models in Ecology
- MSCI 698 Fisheries Data Management and Analysis (with C. Bonzek)
- MSCI 698 Linear Modeling for Fish Ecologists
- MSCI 698 Got Data? Now what? (Applications & Generalized Linear Models - from Data Collection to Publication)
- Fellow, American Fisheries Society, 2015
- O. E. Sette Award for Outstanding Marine Fisheries Biologist, American Fisheries Society, 2014
- NOAA Bronze Medal Award, 2006
- Distinguished Service Award, American Fisheries Society 1998
- Most significant paper published in 1997 in the Transactions of the American Fisheries Society - August 1998 (Waldman et al. 1997)
- James W. Moffett Award for outstanding scientific paper published in 1997, Great Lakes Science Center - August 1998 (Fabrizio, Adams, and Curtis 1997)
- Board of Directors, Hudson River Foundation
- American Fisheries Society (AFS)
- President (2007-2008)
- President AFS Marine Fisheries Section (2002-2004)
- American Institute of Fishery Research Biologists - Fellow
- The Biometric Society
- Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation
- Phi Beta Kappa
Other Works of Interest
- Rose, K. A., M. C. Fabrizio, and B. A. Phelan. 2012. Determining authorship: why is something that seems so simple so difficult? Scientific Communication for Natural Resource Professionals, Cecil A. Jennings, Thomas E. Lauer, and Bruce Vondracek (Editors) AFS, Bethesda, MD.
- Simmonds, R., and M. C. Fabrizio. 2006. Fisheries employment in the US Federal Government. Pages 79-96 in D. A. Hewitt, W. E. Pine III, and A. V. Zale, eds. The AFS Guide to Fisheries Employment, 2nd edition. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD.