The Speakers Bureau at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science sends our scientists on the road! Faculty, staff, and students at VIMS are available to speak to your community organization, school, club, business, or other venue. The topics offered are as diverse as VIMS research (see list below). Presentations about VIMS in general are also available for those wishing to learn more about the mission of VIMS and the important work we conduct.
To request a speaker, please fill out our online request form linked below. Once we receive your form, we will contact you to schedule your presentation.
Requests must be made at least 60 days in advance.
Current Speakers & Topics
(list current as of January, 2023)
View the Speakers Bureau List (pdf). Please list 2-3 potential presentations on your Speaker Request Form.
- Not every speaker/topic is available for all audience types. Some speakers/topics are only available for adults and/or middle school students and older. The audience that each speaker/topic is available for is listed in the descriptions below.
- We typically require a minimum of 30 attendees for a speaking engagement. Please provide a realistic estimate of the number of people you expect to attend the presentation on the request form.
- Our speakers are able to travel up to 1 hour from the VIMS campus in Gloucester Point for a speaking engagement. If your location is more than an hour’s drive from our campus, we may not be able to accommodate your request.
- A typical presentation is 30 minutes to one hour in length.
- Most presentations will require the requesting organization to provide a projector and screen, computer (with ability to play video and sound and connect to the Internet), and a microphone/sound system for the presenter.
The Speakers Bureau is made possible by the generous support of:
Severn Yachting Center
Tidewater Oyster Gardeners Association (TOGA)