- February 10, 2017 - all application materials must be received by this date
- March 15, 2017- target date for notification of acceptance
- Approximately 15-20% of applicants may expect a telephone interview by the target date; if you do not hear from us by April 15 and you must decide on another offer, please contact us via [[intern,e-mail]]. Students not offered a position will be notified by e-mail during early to mid-May.
- The following statement is from the NSF Ocean Science Program office and pertains to all Ocean Science funded REU sites: "All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th or later to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the Division of Ocean Science's REU Program Director, Lisa Rom, at elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709."
(tentative schedule, to be revised as additional information becomes available on campus housing)
- May 28 (Sunday)—dormitory opens on the W&M campus, Williamsburg, VA
- May 30 (Tuesday)—official program begins at 10am in Andrews Hall, Room 326, VIMS campus, Gloucester Point, VA
- August 2 (Wednesday)—final presentations of summer research
- August 3, 4 (Th, F)—complete final papers
- August 4 (Friday)—final program ends
- August 5 (Saturday)—depart for home; W&M dorms close at noon.
Students on quarter schedules may be accommodated if their quarters end too late to begin May 28th
Stipends and Other Financial Support
Interns will receive:
- a stipend of $5,500 for the 10-week program (plus a $400 food allowance),
- housing in a dormitory on the W&M main campus, and
- transportation between campuses.
In addition, most interns will receive partial to full travel costs to and from the program from their home or university. Please note: Travel arrangements must be made in conjunction with the REU program office, and interns will not be reimbursed for tickets they purchase without prior written permission of the Program Coordinator or Program Director.