- Advising & New Student Registration: Contact your interim advisor(s) or the M.A. Program Director to discuss the classes you will be taking in your first semester. Obtain an alternate pin from your advisor or Program Director to access the online registration module. New student registration begins August 2 (for Fall admission) and January 4 (for Spring admission). Access the dynamic course schedule (select term and then filter by subject area - Marine Science) or open course list to view up-to-the-minute course offerings.
- Registration: Register for classes in Banner during the new student registration period. Additional resources on how to register is available through the University Registrar's Office.
- All full-time, degree-seeking students must register for a minimum of 9 credit hours (full-time credit hour requirement) for each fall and spring semester, and all M.S. and Ph.D. students must also register for 3 credit hours each summer.
- All students are expected to register for a seminar (MSCI 515) as required by their respective departments or as decided upon between you and the M.A. Program Director; however, only two (2) credit hours will be applicable to the degree program.
- Course Exemptions or Transfer Credit: With the exception of MSCI 503, students who have had comparable coursework elsewhere may either petition for -- 1) an exemption from, or 2) receive transfer credit for -- any of the SMS core courses. Prior undergraduate level coursework is only eligible for an exemption, not transfer credit. Please refer to the policies in the SMS Graduate Catalog for details. Interested students should contact the [[v|registrar,SMS Registrar]] to submit the required paperwork 14 days in advance for inclusion at the next Academic Status and Degrees Committee (ASDC) meeting. The committee meets at the beginning of each semester in August, January, and June.
- Tuition Bills: After you register for classes, tuition and fees for the upcoming semester as well as the W&M student health insurance premium (if applicable) will be charged to your student account. View your eBill in Banner.
- Final Official Transcripts: If you haven't done so already, please submit final official transcripts from degree awarding institutions (verifying completion of previous degrees awarded and sent directly from your prior institution) to VIMS Admissions, email: email@example.com or mail: Graduate Admissions, Office of Academic Studies, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, 1375 Greate Rd., Gloucester Point, VA 23062.
- Got Questions? Contact the SMS Registrar at 804-684-7106 for registration/transcript-related questions or the Office of Academic Studies at 804-684-7105 for tuition-related questions.
Last updated by J. Hay on August 2, 2021.