- Hydrodynamic and biogeochemical modeling
- Coastal physical oceanography
- Impact of extreme weather events (e.g., hurricane, heavy precipitation)
- Dispersion of coastal pollutants and fish larvae
- PhD in Physical Oceanography, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, 2017
- Master of Science in Oceanography, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, 2012
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Geography, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, 2010
- J. Du, W.G. Zhang, Y. Li (2021). Variability of deep water in Jordan Basin of the Gulf of Maine: Influence of Gulf Stream warm core rings and the Nova Scotia Current. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 126, 2020JC017136.
- J. Du, K. Park, C. Jensen, T. Dellapenna, W. Zhang, Y. Shi (2021). Massive oyster kill in Galveston Bay caused by prolonged low-salinity exposure after Hurricane Harvey. Science of the Total Environment, 774, 145132.
- J. Du, K. Park, T.M. Dellapenna, J.M. Clay (2019). Dramatic hydrodynamic and sedimentary responses in Galveston Bay and adjacent inner shelf to Hurricane Harvey. Science of the Total Environment, 653, 554-564.
- J. Du, K. Park, J. Shen, B. Dzwonkowski, X. Yu, B. Yoon (2018). Role of baroclinic processes on flushing characteristics in a highly stratified estuarine system, Mobile Bay, Alabama. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 123, 4518-4537.
- J. Du, J. Shen, Y.J. Zhang, F. Ye, Z. Liu, Z. Wang, Y.P. Wang, X. Yu, M. Sisson, H.V. Wang (2018). Tidal response to sea‐level rise in different types of estuaries: the importance of length, bathymetry, and geometry. Geophysical Research Letters, 45, 227-235.
- J. Du, J. Shen (2016). Water residence time in Chesapeake Bay for 1980–2012. Journal of Marine Systems, 164, 101-111.
- J. Du, J. Shen (2015). Decoupling the influence of biological and physical processes on the dissolved oxygen in the Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120(1), 78-93.