- B.S. Geographical Sciences, Nanjing University, June 2010
- M.S. Physical Oceanography, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary, January 2013
- Ph.D. Marine Sciences, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary, January 2019
My research interests focus on estuarine water quality, physics, and physical-biological interactions. Particularly, I want to understand how physical transport influences biological and chemical processes in estuaries that ultimately shape water quality, such as eutrophication, hypoxia, harmful algal blooms (HABs), and pathogen pollution. My approach involves analytical theory, data analysis, and numerical modeling.
Please feel free to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) for pdf copies of any of the following publications:
- Qin, Q., and Shen, J. (in press). Typical relationships between phytoplankton biomass and transport time in river-dominated coastal aquatic systems. Limnology and Oceanography.
- Qin, Q., Shen, J., Reece, K. S., and Mulholland, M. R. (2021). Developing a 3D mechanistic model for examining factors contributing to harmful blooms of Margalefidinium polykrikoides in a temperate estuary. Harmful Algae, 105, 102055. 10.1016/j.hal.2021.102055
- Cai, X., Shen, J., Zhang, J. Y., Qin, Q., Wang, Z., and Wang, H. (2021). Impacts of sea-level rise on hypoxia and phytoplankton production in Chesapeake Bay: model Prediction and assessment. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 10.1111/1752-1688.12921
- Xiong, J., Shen, J., Qin, Q. (2021). Exchange flow and material transport along the salinity gradient of a long estuary. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 10.1029/2021JC017185
- Qin, Q., and Shen, J. (2021). Applying transport rate for quantifying local transport conditions in coastal systems. Journal of Marine Systems, 218, 103542. 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2021.103542
- Xiong, J., Shen, J., Qin, Q., and Du, J. (2021). Water exchange and its relationships with external forcings and residence time in Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Marine Systems, 215, 103497. 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2020.103497
- Cai, X., Zhang, J. Y., Shen, J., Wang, H., Wang, Z., Qin, Q., and Ye F. (2020). Numerical study of hypoxia in Chesapeake Bay using an unstructured grid model: validation and assessment. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 10.1111/1752-1688.12887
- Qin, Q., and Shen, J., 2019. Physical transport affects the origins of harmful algal bloom in estuaries. Harmful Algae, 84: 210-221. 10.1016/j.hal.2019.04.002
- Qin, Q., and Shen, J., 2019. Pelagic contribution to gross primary production dynamics in shallow areas of York River, VA, USA. Limnology and Oceanography, 64(4): 1484-1499. 10.1002/lno.11129
- Shen, J., Qin, Q., Wang, Y., and Sisson, M., 2019. A data-driven modeling approach for simulating algal blooms in the tidal freshwater of James River in response to riverine nutrient loading. Ecological Modeling, 398: 44-54. 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2019.02.005
- Qin, Q., and Shen, J., 2017. The contribution of local and transport processes to phytoplankton biomass variability over different timescales in the Upper James River, Virginia. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 196: 123-133. 10.1016/j.ecss.2017.06.037