Lindsey M. Kraatz
Ph.D. StudentEmail: [[lindsey]]
Phone: (804) 684-7509, 7676
Office: Andrews Hall 235
Department of Interest: Physical Sciences, Geological Oceanography
Major advisor: Dr. Carl Friedrichs
Co-advisor: Dr. Jesse McNinch ~ Army Corps of Engineers Duck Field Research Facility
Ph.D. Student, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Gloucester Point, VA
B.S., Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL 2003
Academic and Professional Interests
- Sediment Transport
- Remote Sensing
- Sedimentary Geology
- Coastal Evolution
- Coastal Salt Marshes
- And, of course, the VIMS MUDBED Project
Research and Teaching Experience
- 2009, National Science Foundation "VIMS PERFECT" GK-12 Fellow. Working with Kristin Kelly at York County High School. Bring oceanography, geology, and GIS into Ms. Kelly's 9th grade Earth Science classroom.
- 2008, Teaching Assistant. Taught two sections of Introduction to Geology (GEO 160) at the College of William and Mary.
- 2008, Teaching Assistant. Helped with lab and research project preparation for the VIMS first year graduate students in the Coastal and Estuarine Processes Research Lab (MSCI 502L). Professors: Dr. Mark Brush and Dr. Jesse McNinch.
- 2007, Research assistant (Surfnaut) on Project "Sea CAMEL" (Classroom Aquarius Marine Education Live). Provided support in3 days of interactive coral-reef experiments from Aquaris, while being broadcasted live as an educational experience.
- 2003-2005, Research Assistant. Department of Geology and Geography, University of North Carolina Wilmington.
- 2003-2005, Guest Lecturer. Taught several lectures of GIS applications, such as geo-rectification and digitization, as well as barrier island morphology and coastal processes at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and the University of South Florida.
- 2004-2005, National Science Foundation GK-12 Fellow. Taught programs in chemistry, biology, earth sciences, and marine sciences to sixth and eighth grades and served as a classroom resource for middle school teachers and students
- 2003, Undergraduate Thesis Project. Galbraith Marine Science Laboratory, Eckerd College. "Historical Shoreline Change of Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands, West-Central Florida". Mentor: Dr. Gregg Brooks
- 2002, Teaching Assistant. Department of Marine Science, Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, Fl. Taught and assisted Earth Structure laboratory sessions.
- 2000-2003, Intern/Research Assistant. Center for Coastal and Watershed Studies, U.S.G.S., St. Petersburg, Fl. "The National Assessment of Shoreline Change: A GIS Compilation of Vector Shorelines and Associated Shoreline Change Data for the U.S. Gulf of Mexico". Mentors: Dr. Laura Moore, Dr. Bob Morton, and Tara Miller.
- 2006, Best Paper Award ~ International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Symposium "Remote Sensing: From Pixels to Processes", Enschede, the Netherlands, 8-11 May, 200
- 2005, Fulbright Finalist for the United Kingdom
- 2004, Victor A. Zullo Award for Outstanding Graduate Research
- 2003, Eckerd College Lifetime Achievement/Outstanding Student Award
- 2003, Inducted into Sigma Xi
- 2001, Inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa (National Leadership Society)
- Kraatz, L.M., McNinch, J.E., Friedrichs, C.T., and Trembanis, A.C., 2008. Geomorphic changes of fine-grained sedimentary furrow: insight into sediment transport and deposition in the York River estuary. 2008 Ocean Sciences Abstract with Programs, Orlando, Florida, 2-7 March.
- Petrone, C.J., Brodie, K.L., Foxgrover, A.C., Jones, D.O.B., Kraatz, L.M., Lake, S.J., Relles, N.J., Rodriguez-Calderon, C., Shen, T., Spier, C.R., Sturdivant, S.K., and Patterson, M.R., 2008. Lessons from Project SeaCamel: Integrating Science Education and Ocean Observing Systems (OOS) Technology. 2008 Ocean Sciences Abstract with Programs, Orlando, Florida, 2-7 March.
- Halls, J. and Kraatz, L.M. 2006. A spatio-temporal assessment of back-barrier salt marsh change: a comparison of multidate aerial photography and spatial landscape indices. International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing's Mid-Term Symposium "Remote Sensing: From Pixels to Processes" Abstracts and Papers with Programs, 8-11 May, Enschede, Netherlands.
- Halls, J. and Kraatz, L.M. 2006. Estimating error and uncertainty in change detection analyses of historical aerial photographs. 7th International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, 5-7 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Kraatz, L. M.; Halls, J. N.; Leonard, L. A., 2005. An assessment of back-barrier salt marshes in southeastern North Carolina using Geographical Information Systems. Estuarine Research Federation Abstract with Programs, October 16-20 Norfolk, VA.
- Kraatz, L.M., Reimer, B., Halls, J.N., and Leonard, L.A. 2005 Historical Analysis of Marsh Area Distribution in Southeastern North Carolina. Association of American Geographers Abstract with Programs, April 4-9 Denver, CO.
- Kraatz, L.M. 2003. Historical Shoreline Change of Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands, West-Central Florida. Undergraduate Honors Thesis. Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Kraatz, L.M., 2008. Geomorphic changes of fine-grained sedimentary furrows: insight into sediment transport and deposition in the York River estuary. DPS Spring Seminar Series.
- Kraatz, L.M. 2008. Coastal Geology and the VA Eastern Shore. VIMS REU Guest Lecture.
- Kraatz, L.M., 2007. The sound of mud: plans for acoustic seabed surveying in the York River. DPS Spring Seminar Series
- Kraatz, L. M.; Halls, J. N.; Leonard, L. A., 2005. An assessment of back-barrier salt marshes in southeastern North Carolina using Geographical Information Systems. ERF Abstract with Programs, October 16-20 Norfolk, VA.
- Kraatz, L.M. 2005 Historical Aerial Photo Rectification and Image Analysis. UNCW Guest Lecture ~ Intro to GIS
- Kraatz, L.M., Reimer, B., Halls, J.N., and Leonard, L.A. 2005 Historical Analysis of Marsh Area Distribution in Southeastern North Carolina. AAG Abstract with Programs, April 4-9 Denver, CO
- Kraatz, L.M. 2004. Caladesi Island: Past, Present, and Future. USF Guest Lecture ~ Intro. to Environmental Science
- Kraatz, L.M. 2003. Historical Shoreline Change of Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands, West-Central Florida. Undergraduate Honors Thesis Defense. Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL.
- 2009- Present, Department of Physical Science Faculty Committee (student rep), VIMS
- 2008-Present, Awards Committee Representative, VIMS
- 2008- Present, Seminar Series Representative, VIMS
- 2007-2008, Faculty University Priorities Committee, College of William and Mary
- 2006- Present, VIMS Graduate Student Association (President & Vice-President), VIMS
- 2006- Present, Green Team, VIMS
- 2006-2008, Graduate Council (President), College of William and Mary
- 2005-Present, Honor Council, College of William and Mary
- 2003-2005, UNCW Graduate Association, UNCW
- 2001-2003, Environmental Affairs Committee, Eckerd College
- 2008, Boys & Girls Club/VIMS GSA Halloween Event, VIMS
- 2007 - Present, VIMS Booth at the Gloucester County Daffodil Festival, VIMS
- 2006 - Present, VIMS Marine Science Day, VIMS
- 2006 - Present, Virginia Blue Crab Bowl Volunteer, VIMS
- 2004 - 2005, Science Olympiad Coach, New Hanover County Middle Schools, NC
- 2003 - 2005, New Hanover County, NC Science Fairs Judge, UNCW
- 2003 - 2005, Science Olympiad Judge, UNCW
Memberships, Official Position
- Coastal Estuary and Research Federation (ERF), student member, 2004 - Present
- The American Geophysical Union, student member, 2004-present
- Geological Society of America (GSA), student member, 2004 - Present
- Association of American Geographers (AAG), student member, 2004 - Present
- American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS), student member, 2004 -Present
- Sigma Xi, student member, 2003-Present
- Omicron Delta Kappa, 2001-Present
- U.S. Coast Guard Boating Skills and Seamanship Certification
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Marine First Aid Certification
- AAUS Research Scientific Diver Certification
- Radioisotope Certification
- Digital x-radiograph Certification
- GEOTEK Core Logger Certification