The Coastal Hydrodynamics & Sediment Dynamics Program (CHSD) at the Virginia Insitute of Marine Science aims to better understand fundamental aspects of coastal and estuarine physics with additional emphasis on processes responsible for sediment resuspension, transport, and deposition at time-and length-scales important to geology, biogeochemistry, and ecology.
Ongoing topics of interest include
- controls on particle settling velocity and bed erodibility,
- estuarine water clarity and water quality,
- acoustic properties of suspended sediment and the upper seabed,
- morphologic controls on estuarine physical oceanography,
- wave and tidal boundary layers,
- hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics of tidal estuaries, flats and marshes,
- improving hydrodynamic, sediment transport, and water quality models.
Our technical approach involves field work, analytical theory, numerical modeling, and the intersection of all three in the utilization of coastal observation and prediction systems.
Contact us the old fashioned way
Tel: 804-684-7303 | Fax: 804-684-7250Deliveries (U.S. Mail and Courier):
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
1375 Greate Road
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062-1346, USA