- B.A. in Environmental Science & Policy
- B.A. in Music
- Molecular phylogeny and phylogeography, specifically of Bonamia parasites
- Development and use of molecular diagnostics for marine pathogens
Hill, K.M., R.B. Carnegie, N. Aloui-Bejaoui, R. El Gharsalli, D.M. White, N.A. Stokes, and E.M. Burreson. 2010. Observation of a Bonamia sp. infecting the oyster Ostrea stentina in Tunisia, and a consideration of its phylogenetic affinities. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 103(3): 179-185.
Hill, K.M., N.A. Stokes, J.D. Moore, K.S. Reece, R.B. Carnegie, and E.M. Burreson. Exploring the phylogeography of Bonamia spp. (Phylum Haplosporidia) through analysis of internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region ribosomal DNA (rDNA) sequences. Oral presentation. Aquaculture 2010, March 1-5, 2010, San Diego, CA.
Hill, K.M., N.A. Stokes, D.M. White, S.C. Webb, M.A. Kroeck, D.W. Howard, K.S. Reece, P.M. Hine, R.B. Carnegie, E.M. Burreson. Understanding Bonamia parasites by exploring their phylogeny, their hosts, and their past. Oral presentation. National Shellfisheries Association 101st Annual Meeting, March 22-26, 2009, Savannah, GA.
Hill, K.M., D.M. White, N.A. Stokes, R.B. Carnegie, N. Aloui-Bejaoui, S.C. Webb, P.M. Hine, M.A. Kroeck, R. Gharsalli, R.K. Crockett, T.D. Lewis, K.S. Reece, E.M. Burreson. New perspectives on the dispersal and evolution of Bonamia species, haplosporidian parasites of oysters. Poster presentation. National Shellfisheries Association 100th Annual Meeting, April 6-10, 2008, Providence, RI, USA.
- Teaching Assistant, College of William and Mary, School of Marine Science: Interdisciplinary Research in Estuarine and Coastal Systems, spring 2011
- Teaching Assistant, College of William and Mary, School of Marine Science: Physical Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography, fall 2010
- Laboratory and Research Specialist I, Virginia Institute of Marine Science Shellfish Pathology Laboratory, January 2005 – August 2008
- National Shellfisheries Association
Scholarships & Awards
- Dean’s Equipment Grant, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, April 2010
- Student Travel Award, National Shellfisheries Association, January 2010
- Dean’s Student Travel Award, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, February 2010
- Student Travel Award, Virginia Institute of Marine Science Graduate Student Association, February 2010
- Kelley Watson Fellowship, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, May 2009 (Recognizes a student who exhibits academic excellence and leadership and has excelled in the core courses during the first year of graduate study.)
- Thurlow C. Nelson Award, Honorable Mention, National Shellfisheries Association 101st Annual Meeting, March 2009 (Recognizes an outstanding oral presentation of research that represents a distinctive and valuable contribution to shellfisheries science.)
- Bookhout Research Scholarship, Duke University Marine Lab, Summer 2002 (Studied the effect of atrazine, a commonly used pesticide, on the endocrine system of fiddler crabs, Uca pugnax and Uca pugilator by applying Western blot and protein analyses. Presented results to students and faculty.)