Directory Page Title
- B.S., Shanghai Teacher's University
- M.A., College of William and Mary
- Ph.D., College of William and Mary
Estuarine circulation; Transport timescale; numerical model simulations of hydrodynamics and water quality in estuaries and coastal sea; storm surge and inundation predictions; inverse modeling of estuarine water quality; numerical modeling of watershed processes.
- Collaborative Research: Multiscale Modeling of Oyster Reef Dynamics (NSF).
- Coastal SEES (Trace1), Collaborative: Chesapeake Bay Sustainability: Implications of changing climate and shifting management objectives (NSF).
- Modeling Support for James River Chlorophyll Study (VADEQ).
- A Numerical Model Study of Salinity Change under Different Sea-level Rise Scenarios in the York and James Rivers (USGS).
- Development of bacteria, benthic, and DO Models for Virginia Coastal Embayments (Virginia Department of Environmental Quality).
- Hydrodynamic Modeling for the Proposed Dredging Assessment in Norfolk Harbor Channel, Elizabeth River.
- Development of Fecal Coliform TMDLs for Shellfish Growing Waters in the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland, Maryland Department of the Environment).
- Evaluation of storm surge models for the Florida coast (FEMA through Florida International University).
- Development of DO model for Onancock Creek (VADEQ).
- Integrated modeling approach for TMDL development of Virginia's small coastal basins with fecal coliform (VADEQ).
- Development of pH TMDLs for Western Maryland (MDE).
- Development of a Watershed-Tidal Prism Model for Jarrett Bay and It's Tributaries for (North Carolina Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources).
Shen, J. B. Hong, Kuo, A. 2013. Using timescales to interpret dissolved oxygen distributions in the bottom waters of Chesapeake Bay. Limnology and Oceanography,58(6), 2237-2248 (doi:10.4319/lo.2013.58.6.2237).
Hong, B., Shen, J. 2013. Linking dynamics of transport timescale and variations of hypoxia in the Chesapeake Bay. JGR, 118. 1-13 ( doi:10.1002/2013JC008859).
Gong, W., Shen, J., Jia, L. 2013. Salt intrusion during the dry season in the Huangmaohai Estuary, Pearl River Delta, China. Journal Marine Systems,111-112,235-252.
Hong, B., Shen, J., 2012. Responses of estuarine salinity and transport processes to potential future sea-level in the Chesapeake Bay. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 104-105, 33-45 (doi:10.1016/j.ecss.2012.03.014).
Shen, J., Hong, B., Schugam, L., Zhao, Y., White, J. 2012. Modeling of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) in the Baltimore Harbor. Ecological modeling, 242, 54-68 (doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2012.05.025).
Wu, H., Zhu, J., Shen, J., Wang, H. 2011. Tidal modulation on the Changjiang River plume in summer. GJR, 118, C08017, doi:10.1029/2011JC007209.
Shen, J., Zhao, Y. 2010. Combined Bayesian statistics and load duration curve method for bacteria nonpoint source loading estimation. Water Research, 44, 77-84.
Wang, Y., Shen, J., He, Q., 2010. A modeling study of the variation of the transport timescale and change of estuarine circulation due to human impact in the Changjiang Estuary, China, Journal of Marine Systems, 82(3), 154-170.
Xu, H., Zhang, K., Shen, J., Li, Y., 2010. Storm surge simulation along the U.S. East and Gulf Coasts using a multi-scale numerical model approach. Ocean Dynamics 60(6), 1597-1619 (DOI: 10.1007/s10236-010-0321-3)
Shen, J., Gong, W. 2009. Influence of model domain size, wind directions and Ekman transport on storm surge development inside the Chesapeake Bay: a case study of extratropical cyclone Ernesto. Journal of Marine Systems, 75, 198-215.
Gong, W, Shen, J., Cho, K., Wang, H.V.,2009. A numerical model study of barotropic subtidal water exchange between estuary and subestuaries in the Chesapeake Bay during northeaster events. Ocean Modelling, 26, 170-189.
Shen, J., Wang, T., Herman, J., Mason, P., Arnold, G.L. 2008. Hypoxia in a Coastal Embayment of the Chesapeake Bay: A Model Diagnostic Study of Oxygen Dynamics. Estuaries and Coastal, 31,652-663.
Zhang, Z., Xiao, C., Shen, J. 2008. Comparison of the CEST and SLOSH Models for Storm Surge Flooding. Journal of Coastal Research, 24(2), 489-499.
Lipcius, R.N., Eggleston, D.B., Schreiber, S.J., Seitz, R.D., Shen, J., Sisson, M., Stockhausen, W. T., Wang, H.V. 2008. Metapopulation Connectivity and Stock Enhancement of Marine Species. Reviews in Fisheries Science, 16(1-3),101-110.
Gong, W., Shen, J., Jia, J. 2008. The impact of human activities on the flushing properties of a semi-closed lagoon, Xiaohai, Hainan, China. Marine Environmental Research, 65, 62-76.
Shen, J., Wang, H.V. 2007. Determining Age of water and transport time scale of the Chesapeake Bay, Estuarine, Coastal, and Self Sciences, 74, 585-598.
Gong, W., Shen, J., Reay, W. 2007. The hydrodynamic response of York River to Hurricane Isabel, 2003, Estuarine, Coastal, and Self Sciences,73(3-4), 695-701.
Shen, J., Jia, J., Sisson, M. 2006. Inverse Estimation of Nonpoint Sources of Fecal Coliform for Establishing Allowable Load for Wye River, Maryland, Water Research 40 (18): 3333-3342. (doi:10.1016/j.waters.2006.07.035).
Shen, J., Gong, W., Wang, H.V. 2006. Water level response to 1999 hurricane Floyd in the Chesapeake Bay. Continental Self Research 26: 2484-2502 doi:10.1016/j.csr.2006.07.02 ).
Shen, J., Zhang, K., Xiao C., Gong, W. 2006. Improved prediction of storm surge inundation using a high-resolution unstructured grid model. Journal of Coastal Research 22(6):1309-1319 (doi:10.2112/04-0288.1).
Shen, J., Lin, J. 2006. Modeling Study of the Influences of tide and stratification on age of water in the tidal James River. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 68 (1-2): 101-112.
Shen, J., Wang, H.V., Sisson, M., Gong, W. 2006. Storm tide simulation in the Chesapeake Bay using an unstructured grid model. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Scienc, 68 (1-2): 1-16.
Shen, J. 2006. Optimal Estimation of Parameters for an Estuarine Eutrophication Model. Ecological Modelling 191:521-537.
Shen, J., Parker, P., Riverson, J. 2005. A new approach for a windows-based watershed modeling system based on a database-supporting architecture. Environmental Modelling and Software 20:1127-1138
Shen, J., Haas, L. 2004. Calculating Age and Residence Time in the Tidal York River Using Three-Dimensional Model Experiments. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Scienc, 61: 449-461.
Shen, J. Boon, J., Kuo, A.Y. 1999. A numerical study of a tidal intrusion front and its impact on larval dispersion in the James River estuary, Virginia, Estuaries 22(3): 681-692.
Shen, J., Kuo, A.Y. 1998. Application of inverse method to calibrate an estuarine eutrophication model, ASCE, Journal of Environmental Engineering 124 (5): 409-418.
Shen, J., Kuo, A.Y. 1996.Inverse estimation of parameters for an estuarine eutrophication model, ASCE, Journal of Environmental Engineering 122 (11): 1031-1040.
- Jiabi Du, Ph.D. Student
- Qubin Qin, M.S. 2012
- Mary Huang, Ph.D. 2010 (co-advising with Dr. Carl Hershner)
- Yuepeng Li, Ph.D. 2006 (co-advised with Dr. Harry Wang)
- Taiping Wang, M.S. 2005 (co-advised with Dr. Harry Wang)
- American Geophysical Union
- Development of Fecal Coliform TMDLs for Shellfish Growing Waters in the Chesapeake Bay (collaborate with Dr. Tom R Fisher, University of Maryland)
- Integrated modeling approach for TMDL development of Virginia small coastal basin with fecal coliform impairment (collaborate with Dr. Carl H. Hershner, Center for Coastal Resource Management)
- Evaluation of storm surge models for the Florida coast (collaborate with Dr. K. Zhang, Hurricane Research Center, Florida International University)