- B.S., University of California, Davis
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Oregon Health Sciences University
My laboratory currently has two foci. We have a long term interest in the basic molecular, cellular, and immunochemical aspects of teleost immune system function. This knowledge is also applied to the understanding of disease resistance and pathogenesis, as well as the development of immunodiagnostics and vaccines for aquaculture. A more recent focus in the development of monoclonal antibody probes for incorporation into real-time sensor platforms to monitor the presence and flux of pollutants, toxins, and pathogens within the estuarine environment.
- The differentiation of long-lived plasma cells and plasmablasts and their role in generating humoral and classical memory and disease resistance in fish
- Structure and assembly of fish antibody molecules
- Mechanisms of affinity maturation and antigen-driven selection in fish
- Development of real-time, antibody-based sensor platforms for the detection of pollutants and pathogens in estuarine water
- Ye, J., Kaattari, I., and S. Kaattari. 2011. Plasmablasts and Plasma Cells: Reconsidering Teleost Immune System Organization. Developmental and Comparative Immunology. Epub ahead of print. doi:10.1016/j.fsi.2010.11.013
- Spier, C.R., Vadas, G. G., Kaattari, S. L. and M. A. Unger. 2011. Near-real-time, on-site, quantitative analysis of PAHs in the aqueous environment using an antibody–based biosensor. Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology. 30:1557-1563.
- Ye J., Bromage, E. S., Kaattari, I.M., and S. L. Kaattari. 2011. Transduction of Binding Affinity by B Lymphocytes: A New Dimension in Immunological Regulation. Developmental and Comparative Immunology. 35:982-990.
- Ye, J., Kaattari, I.M. and S. L. Kaattari. 2011. The differential dynamics of antibody subpopulation expression during affinity maturation in a teleost. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. 30:372- 377. (published online in 2010)
- Ye, J., Bromage, E. S., and S. L. Kaattari. 2010. The strength of B cell interaction with antigen determines the degree of IgM disulfide polymerization. Journal of Immunology 184:884-850.
- Kaattari, S.L., Brown, G., Kaattari, I., Ye, J., Haines, A., and Bromage E. 2009.The cellular and developmental biology of the teleost antibody response. In: Fish Defenses Vol I Immunology (Science Publishers, New Hampshire; Eds. Zaccone, Secombes, Manning, Kapoor).
- Spier, C., Bromage, E. S., Harris, T. M, Unger M.A., and S. L. Kaattari 2009. The development and evaluation of monoclonal antibodies to the detection of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Anal. Biochem.387:287-293.
- Long, W. C., Bromage, E. S., Seitz, R. D., and S. L. Kaattari. 2008. Quantifying fecundity in Macoma balthica using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Aquatic Biology. 3:187-193.
- Bromage E., Vadas, G., Harvey, E., Unger, M.A., and S. Kaattari. 2007. Validation of an antibody based biosensor for rapid quantification of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT) contamination in ground water and river water. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Bromage, E.S., Lackie, T., Unger, M., Ye, J., and S. L. Kaattari. 2007. The development of a real-time biosensor for the detection of trace levels of trinitrotoluene (TNT) in aquatic environments. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 22:2532-2538.
- Brown, G. D., I. M. Kaattari, S. L. Kaattari. 2006. Two new Ig VH gene families in Oncorhynchus mykiss. Immunogenetics. 58:933-936.
- Kaattari, I.M., M. W. Rhodes, S. L. Kaattari and E. Shotts. 2006. The evolving story of Mycobacterium tuberculosis clade members detected in fish. Journal of Fish Diseases. 29:509-520.
- Bromage, E. S., J. K. Ye, and S. L. Kaattari. 2006. Antibody structural variation in rainbow trout fluids. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. 143:61-69
- Kaattari, I. M., M. W. Rhodes, H. Kator, and S. L. Kaattari. 2005. Comparative analysis of mycobacterial infections in wild striped bass Morone saxatilis from Chesapeake Bay. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms.67:125-132.
- Brown, G.D., Kaattari, S.L. and Reece, K.S. 2005. Effect of homogenate from different oyster species on Perkinsus marinus proliferation and subtilisin gene expression. J. Shellfish Res. 24(4): 1027-1033.
- Zwollo, P, Cole, S., Bromage, E. and S. Kaattari. 2005. B cell heterogeneity in the teleost kidney: evidence for a maturation gradient from anterior to posterior kidney. Journal of Immunology.174:6608-6616.
- Earnhart, C. G., and S. L. Kaattari. 2005. Potential novel epitopes in the extracellular products of oyster homogenate-supplemented Perkinsus marinus cells are not detected by subtractive immunization. Journal of Parasitology. 91:689-691.
- Kaattari, S.L., E.S. Bromage, and I.M. Kaattari. 2005. Analysis of long-lived plasma cell production and regulation: Implications for vaccine design for aquaculture. Aquaculture 246:1-9.
- Earnhart, C. G., D. T. Gauthier, W. K. Vogelbein, and S. L. Kaattari. 2005. Monoclonal antibody analysis of Perkinsus marinus extracellular products. International Journal of Parasitology.36:171-184.
- Bromage, E. S., I. M. Kaattari, P. Zwollo, and S. L. Kaattari. 2004. Plasmablast and plasma cell production and distribution in trout immune tissues. Journal of Immunology 173:.7317-7323.
- Bromage, E. S., J. Ye, L. Owens, I. M. Kaattari, and S. L. Kaattari. 2004. Use of Staphylococcal protein A in the analysis of teleost immunoglobulin structural diversity. Developmental and Comparative Immunology. 28:803-814.
- MS 565: Principles of Pathobiology
- MS 567: Comparative Immunology
- 2004 Special Achievement Award (American Fisheries Society)
- 2001 CSX Professor of Marine Science (Virginia Institute of Marine Science)
- 1993 James and Mildred Oldfield Team Award (Oregon State University)
- 1989 Oregon State University Service Award
- 1985 Finalist, Carter Award for Graduate Teaching in Science (OSU)
- 1983 Finalist, Carter Award for Undergraduate Teaching in Science (OSU)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Xi
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Society for Microbiology
- International Society for Developmental and Comparative Immunology
- Editorial Board: Fish and Shellfish Immunology
- Review Editor: Diseases of Aquatic Organisms
Collaborative / Interdisciplinary Efforts
- National Fish Health Research Laboratory, Leetown, WV (USGS) Development of immunoreagents for the study of immunity in small mouth bass
- University of Georgia Veterinary School Catfish antibody structural analysis
- The National Center for Cool and Coldwater Aquaculture, Leetown, WV (USDA) Analysis of immunomechanisms of disease resistant trout
- Sapidyne Inc.: Analysis of antibody specificities and affinities using KinExA technology
- Michigan State University Veterinary School. Development of immunoreagents for the study of anti-viral immunity in muskellunge