History

The library of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science was established in 1947 at the Virginia Fisheries Laboratory in Yorktown by Dr. Willard Van Engel, one of the early VFL scientists. When the Fisheries Laboratory moved in 1950 to Gloucester Point, the library was placed in Maury Hall, eventually occupying the entire second floor.

The library moved to its present-day Watermen’s Hall location in 1984.

Hargis

In 2004, the VIMS library was offically named the William J. Hargis, Jr. Library to honor the former Dean and Director of the Institute.