B.A. Biological Sciences 2009, Smith College, cum laude
Ecology of pelagic fishes
Field and Research Experience:
Technician: Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Dauphin Island, AL
- Reef Fish Survey, Shark Survey, Age and Growth of Red Snapper, ROV Video Survey
- Supervisor: Dr. Sean P. Powers
Intern: Edgerton Research Laboratory, New England Aquarium, Boston, MA
- Delayed mortality / bycatch physiology of skates in the Gulf of Maine
- Supervisor: Dr. John W. Mandelman
Intern: Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Edgewater, MD
- Spatial and temporal variation of fishing pressure on blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay, seine and trawl surveys
- Supervisors: Eric G. Johnson and Anson H. Hines
Intern: National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle, WA
- Movements of juvenile salmonids, habitat surveys, diet and drift analysis
- Supervisor: Dr. Peter Kiffney
Independent Study: Bahía de Caráquez, Ecuador
- Surveyed effects of shrimp farming on localized invertebrate populations
- Advisor: Nicola Mears
Independent Study: Stonington, CT
- Sampled diet of bluefish and thorny skates in Fishers Island Sound onboard a commercial fishing trawler
- Advisor: Dr. James T. Carlton
Presentations & Publications
- Cicia, AM, Schlenker, LS, Sulikowski, JA, Mandelman, JW. 2011. Seasonal variations in the physiological stress response to discrete bouts of aerial exposure in the little skate, Leucoraja erinacea. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology-Part A. In press.
- Schlenker, LS, Gregalis, KC, Drymon, JM, Powers, SP. 2011. Using Multiple Gear Types for a Fisheries Independent Assessment of the Red Snapper Population in Alabama’s Reef Permit Zone. Benthic Ecology Meeting 2011. Mobile, AL.
- Cicia, AM, Schlenker, LS, Mandelman, JW, Sulikowski, JA. 2010. Investigating the acute physiological effects of air exposure and the implication on discard survival in skates from the western Gulf of Maine. Annual Science Conference ICES 2010. Nantes, France.
- Cicia, AM, Schlenker, LS, Mandelman, JW, Sulikowski, JA. 2010. The Acute Physiological Effects and Recovery from Graded Periods of Air Exposure in Skates from the Western Gulf of Maine. American Elasmobranch Society Meeting 2010. Providence, RI.
- Aguilar, R, Johnson, EG, Hines, AH, Schlenker, LS, Roberts, PM, Goodison, MR, Kramer, MA. Spatial Dynamics of the Blue Crab Callinectes sapidus Fishery in Chesapeake Bay. Benthic Ecology Meeting 2010. Wilmington, NC.
- Aguilar, R, Johnson, EG, Hines, AH, Schlenker, LS, Roberts, PM, Goodison, MR, Kramer, MA. Spatial Dynamics of the Blue Crab Callinectes sapidus Fishery in Chesapeake Bay. American Fisheries Society Tidewater Annual Chapter Meeting, 18-20 March 2010, Annapolis, MD.
- Zeigler Fellowship Award, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- Wilderness First Responder
- Open Water SCUBA