Who can apply?
- Full-time VIMS graduate students who have completed first semester core courses
- Applicants must complete all core course requirements prior to GK-12 teaching
What benefits will Fellows receive?
- Fellows receive tuition and funding for 6 to 12 months, depending on the length of involvement in the program
- Opportunity to teach and inspire future generations of marine scientists
- Invaluable teaching and learning experiences that go beyond conventional graduate training
What this Fellowship is not...
- You are NOT a substitute teacher. Your partner teacher will be there to provide guidance and help.
- You are NOT teaching only standard materials. You will develop new materials that bring your research to the K-12 curriculum.
- You are NOT being trained to be a K-12 teacher, but you will acquire valuable skills and experiences that will further your career.
- You are NOT alone! There have been over 200 GK-12 projects in over 140 universities since 1999. You will be a part of a growing community.
How to apply?
For the GK-12 fellowship to be a truly rewarding experience for the selected fellows, commitment and support from their major advisors is essential. Each year interested graduate students must first declare their interest through their major advisors and complete an application, typically by the beginning of a new calaendar year. Successful applicants will be notified in spring, and training and preparation will begin in early summer. Details of the GK-12 application process will be announced at the beginning of the school year.
Prospective VIMS students should discuss their interest in the GK-12 program with their prospective advisors early on in their graduate school application process.