Native grasses, shrubs and trees planted in the upland transition zone will stabilize bank soil and intercept occasional storm surge flooding. The existing upland vegetation already growing well in the local area will suggest which plants are most suitable for planting above the wetland area in living shoreline projects. This list includes plant species common throughout the Coastal Plain.
- Saltmeadow hay Spartina patens
- Switch grass Panicum virgatum
- Little bluestem Schizachyrium scoparium
- Wax myrtle or bayberry Morella spp.
- Groundsel bush Baccharis halimifolia
- Inkberry Ilex glabra
- Eastern redcedar Juniperus virginiana
- Bald cypress Taxodium distichum
- Loblolly pine Pinus taeda