Your gateway to information and tools to assist Mathews County with implementation of tidal shoreline laws and policy established by the Virginia General Assembly. Access to downloadable files is included. When downloading data from this site, users agree to all conditions outlined in this disclaimer.
The Center for Coastal Resources Management (CCRM) provides these data with the understanding that they are not guaranteed to be correct or complete, and conclusions drawn from the data set are the sole responsibility of the user. Every attempt has been made to ensure that these data and the documentation are reliable and accurate. CCRM, the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS), and the Commonwealth of Virginia assume no liability for any damages caused by inaccuracies in the data or documentation; and make no warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or utility of this information, nor does the fact of distribution constitute a warranty.
Interactive map viewers use the most recent available data pertaining to shoreline conditions, shoreline access and protection structures, tidal marshes, beaches, bathymetry, and topographic elevations, to map and display preferred shoreline best management practices and sea-level rise scenarios. (best viewed on large screens)
- AdaptVA Interactive Map (zoom to locality by using the "Find address or place" search tool)
Shoreline & Tidal Marsh Inventory
Current and historical assessments of shoreline features.
- Shoreline Inventory Summary Tables – 2009
- Shoreline Inventory Reports – 2009, 2000 & 1975
- Historical Tidal Marsh Inventory – 1974
- Piankatank River Watershed Shoreline Inventory Maps – 2000
GIS Data Downloads
Click below to download data included in the mapping tools. Metadata is also included that describes each shapefile, and defines attribute accuracy, data development, and any use restrictions that pertain to the data.
- Shoreline Inventory GIS Data – 2009 includes TMI GIS data
- Tidal Marsh Inventory GIS Data – 2012
- Shoreline Management Model GIS Data – 2015
- Piankatank River Watershed Shoreline GIS Data
Other Shoreline Publications
Additional reports and management plans related to tidal shorelines produced by CCRM and/or VIMS Shoreline Studies Program.
- Mathews County Shoreline Management Plan – 2010
- Mathews Maritime Heritage Trail – 2009
- New Point Comfort Lighthouse Mathews, Virginia: Site Assessment Plan – 2008
- Shoreline Evolution: Mathews County, Virginia - Chesapeake Bay and Piankatank River – 2005
- Mathews County Dune Inventory – 2003
- Tidal Shoreline Laws & Policies
- CCRMP FAQ's