- B.S., Northeastern University
- M.S., Old Dominion University
Applied research in remote sensing and GIS technology to address local and regional management questions in the Coastal Plain. Development of techniques for monitoring change in coastal systems, analyzing risk through sensitive area mapping, and planning for watershed level management. Advisory service to local, state, and federal agencies in the area of GIS database development and data exchange.
- Development of protocols for mapping and cataloguing shoreline conditions.
- GIS based shoreline inventories to map shoreline conditions along tidal shorelines.
- Development of an interactive, web-based GIS Atlas for evaluating sensitive areas in the Chesapeake Bay.
- Land use and land cover classification of satellite imagery using remote sensing.
- GIS models for targeting potential habitat restoration sites in the Chesapeake Bay.
Berman, M., H. Berquist, J. Herman, and K. Nunez. 2007. The stability of living shorelines - An evaluation. Final Report submitted to NOAA Chesapeake Bay Program Office, Annapolis, MD. Center for Coastal Resources Management, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Gloucester Point, VA. 106 pp.
Berman, M.R., Berquist, H., Dewing, S., Hershner, C.H., Rudnicky, T., Schatt, D.E., Weiss, D. and Woods, H., 2003. Northumberland County Shoreline Situation Report, Special Report in Applied Marine Science and Ocean Engineering No. 379, Comprehensive Coastal Inventory Program, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, Virginia, 23062.
Berman, M.R., K. Havens, T. Rudnicky, and T. Barnard, 2002. Marina Site Suitability Tool, Final Project Report, submitted to Department of Environmental Quality, Virginia Coastal Resources Management Program, Richmond, Virginia.
Berman, M. R., Rudnicky, T., Berquist, H., and C. Hershner, 2002. Protocols for Implementation of a GIS-based Model for the Selection of Potential Wetlands Restoration Sites Southeastern Virginia, Final Report submitted to Department of Environmental Quality, Virginia Coastal Resources Management Program, Richmond, Virginia.
Bilkovic, D.M., C.H. Hershner, M.R. Berman, K.J. Havens, and D.M. Stanhope. 2005. Evaluating nearshore communities as indicators of ecosystem health. Estuarine Indicators, S.A. Bortone (ed.), CRC Press