CBNERR Public Programs
Community outreach is a priority for the CBNERR Education department. Reserve staff provide environmental programs at Estuaries Day, Marine Science Day, Dragon Run Day, as well as offering a Discovery Lab series open to the public on various marine science topics.
The monthly Discovery Lab series provides fun, family-friendly experiences and lifelong learning. Each lab focuses on a specific topic through a series of stations that provide hands-on activities for kids and adults. Participants look through microscopes, observe live animals, partake in crafts and games, and view research posters. Both VIMS faculty and students participate as speakers, sharing their research with the general public in an intimate setting.
Registration is required. Registration forms are available for the current month's lab only. See flyer for more information and a short description of each upcoming lab.
- January 15 - Sturgeon
- February 26 - Mammals
- March 19 - Sharks
- June 11 - Sport Fishing: REGISTER NOW
- July16 - York River
- September 17 - Seafood
- October 22 - Mad Lab
Time and Place
- Discovery Labs typically take place on the third or fourth Tuesday of each month.
- The labs run from 6-8 pm with a speaker at 6:30 pm.
- The labs take place in the Catlett-Burress Research and Education Teaching lab (Building #132 on VIMS campus map).
- Driving directions (pdf).
Discovery Labs are appropriate for all ages.
Discovery Labs are free.
Contact Sarah McGuire, 804-684-7878 for more information.