Directions to VIMS
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is located in Gloucester Point, Virginia, immediately across from Yorktown, Virginia (37.25° N, 76.50° W). Southbound access to VIMS is via the George P. Coleman Bridge, the largest double swing-span overpass in the U.S. Northbound drivers pay a toll. Visit VDOT for information on bridge traffic.
VIMS lies approximately 13 miles southeast of the main William & Mary campus in Williamsburg; the drive takes about half an hour. There is no public transportation between the two campuses.
Driving times and directions:
- from Washington, D.C. - 2.5 to 3 hours
- from Norfolk, VA - 1 to 1.5 hours
- from Richmond, VA - 1 to 1.5 hours
- from Williamsburg or Newport News, VA - 30 minutes (view bridge info)
- Newport News / Williamsburg International Airport - Newport News, VA
- Norfolk International Airport - Norfolk, VA
- Richmond International Airport - Richmond, VA
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and
Washington Dulles International Airport (both in the Washington, D.C. area)
- AMTRAK makes stops in both Williamsburg and Newport News, VA.
- Greyhound makes stops in Williamsburg and Hampton, VA, as well as its main terminal stops in Richmond and Norfolk, VA.
- Trailways makes stops in Richmond and Norfolk, VA