Mark Luckenbach, Associate Dean of Research and Advisory Services
Lyle Varnell, Associate Director for Advisory Services
Emily Hein, Assistant to the Associate Dean
The Office of Research and Advisory Services is the central administrative office charged with coordinating the Virginia Institute of Marine Science's state-mandated research and outreach activities. VA Code
As part of VIMS' broad legislative mission, the Institute serves as the Commonwealth's center of expertise in the marine environment, bringing together governmental, economic, regulatory, and scientific communities. Activities extend from Antartica to the Caribbean, Europe, and South America.
VIMS is a central partner in the state's environmental management infrastructure working with the Virginia Marine Resources Commission, the Department of Environmental Quality, the Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the Virginia Department of Health. Additionally VIMS is responsible for responding to requests from the General Assembly, the Governor's Office, and the Secretary of Natural Resources. VIMS works with local governments and management agencies such as Soil and Water Districts and Planning District Commissions, and researchers participate in and represent the state's interests on regional commissions such as the Potomac River Fisheries Commission, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and the New England Fisheries Management Council.
VIMS has close management and research ties with many federal agencies that oversee Chesapeake Bay and its resources, including the
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Marine Fisheries Services
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of the Interior
- Army Corps of Engineers.
VIMS also serves as the state's Sea Grant Institution.
VIMS research extends throughout the nation and the world. There are formal research agreements with:
- Murdoch University
- Western Australian Fisheries and Marine Research Laboratories, Department of Fisheries, Western Australia
- School of Ocean Sciences, University of Wales-Bangor
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
- Korean Ocean Research and Development Institute
- Ocean University of China (formerly Ocean University of Qingdao)
- The School for Field Studies, Center for Marine Resource Studies