The Chief Operations Officer reports to the VIMS Dean and Director. He/she is responsible for areas of coordination, operations and support, and decision-making in these areas.
The office undertakes special projects, such as developing institutional policy for data management. The initial appointment will be for two years with possibility for reappointment upon mutual agreement.
The principal responsibilities of the position are:
- Implementation and completion of special projects and other duties as assigned by the Dean and Director;
- Management, strategic planning and oversight of Facilities Management, Safety & Environmental Services, ITNS, Vessel Operations and the Analytical Services Lab;
- Coordination of institutional space allocation and resources that are related to infrastructure;
- Development, in conjunction with directors and managers, of institutional policies and procedures, including interpretation and implementation; and,
- Service as the Institute's representative to agency and stakeholders meetings when the Dean and Director is unable to attend.