- BA and MS in Biology from California State University, Northridge
- PhD in Marine Science from Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- Phylogenetics of oysters
- Aquaculture genetics of shellfish and finfish
- Fisheries genetics of marine species
- Conservation genetics of native anadromous and freshwater fishes
Development of a medium density genetic linkage map for hatchery striped bass Morone saxatilis using microsatellite loci (in collaboration with Dr. Craig Sullivan, North Carolina State University, and Dr. Caird Rexroad, USDA National Center for Cool and Cold Water Aquaculture).
Use of mtDNA, SNP, and microsatellite markers to investigate the role of hatchery-selected lines in the restoration of Crassostrea virginica in the Chesapeake Bay (with Dr. Stan Allen, VIMS Aquaculture Genetics and Breeding Technology Center) .
Use of microsatellite markers to characterize genetic variation in native populations of C. ariakensis, determine the genetic relationship of U.S. hatchery stocks to these native populations, and provide tools for tracking unauthorized introductions of C. ariakensis into the Chesapeake Bay( P.I.'s: Dr. Jan Cordes and Dr. Kim Reece; funded by the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Fisheries Research Grant and Cooperative Agreement Program).
Development of a molecular genetic key for the identification of Asian oysters in the genus Crassostrea (P.I.'s: Dr. Jan Cordes and Dr. Kim Reece; funded by the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Fisheries Research Grant and Cooperative Agreement Program).
For information on previously completed projects involving the conservation genetics of native California fishes while at the University of California, Davis, go to: http://genome-lab.ucdavis.edu/.
- Cordes, J.F., J. Xiao, and K.S. Reece. In Review. Discrimination of Oyster Species (Crassostrea: Mollusca) Based on Restriction Fragment-Length Polymorphism (RFLP) Analysis of Nuclear and Mitochondrial DNA Markers. J. Shellfish Res.
- Cordes, J.F., M.R. Stephens, and B. May. In Review. Introgressive hybridization of California golden trout Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita in the South Fork Kern River and transplanted populations. N. Amer. J. Fish. Manage.
- J. Xiao, J.F. Cordes, K.C. Jones, S.K. Allen, Jr., and K.S. Reece. In Press. Characterization and Inheritance of Microsatellite Loci in the Suminoe Oyster Crassostrea ariakensis. Mol. Ecol Res.
- Reece, K.S., J.F. Cordes, J.B. Stubbs, E. Francis, and K. Hudson. 2008. Molecular phylogeny of Crassostrea spp. as inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences. Mar. Biol. 153(4): 709-721.
- J. A. Moss, E. M. Burreson, J. F. Cordes, C. F. Dungan, G. D. Brown, A. Wang, X. Wu, and K. S. Reece. 2007. Pathogens in Crassostrea ariakensis and other Asian oyster species: implications for non-native oyster introduction to Chesapeake Bay. Dis. Aquat. Org. 77: 207-223.
- Cordes, J.F. M.R. Stephens, M.A. Blumberg, and B. May. 2006. Identifying introgressive hybridization in native populations of California golden trout based on molecular markers. Trans. of Amer. Fisheries Soc. 135: 110-128.
- Cordes, J.F., D.L. Perkins, R.L. Sawyer, and B. May. 2005. Genetic analysis of fish genomes and populations: allozyme variation within and among Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) from downeast rivers of Maine. J. Fish Biol. 67 (s1):104-117.
- Liu, Z.J., and J.F. Cordes. 2004. DNA marker technologies and their applications in aquaculture genetics. Aquaculture.
- Cordes, J.F., J.A. Israel, and B. May. 2004. Conservation of Paiute cutthroat trout: measuring the genetic legacy of population transplants and hybridization in an endemic California salmonid. Cal. Fish Game Bull.
- Israel, J.A., J.F. Cordes, and B. May. 2004. Genetic differentiation among western U.S. collections of green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris) based on nuclear microsatellites. N. Amer. J. Fisheries Manage.
- Cordes, J.F., D.L. Perkins, R.L. Sawyer, and B. May. In Press. Genetic analysis of fish genomes and populations: allozyme variation within and among Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) from downeast rivers of Maine. J. Fish Biol.
- Cordes, J.F.,and J.E. Graves. 2003. Stock structure of weakfish Cynoscion regalis inferred from analyses of microsatellite and nuclear gene intron loci. Fish. Bull. 101: 443-450.
- Williamson, K.S., J.F. Cordes, and B. May. 2002. Characterization of microsatellite loci in Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) and cross-species amplification in other salmonids. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:17-19.
- Cordes, J.F.,S. L. Armknecht, E. A. Starkey, and J. E. Graves. 2001. Forensic identification of sixteen species of Chesapeake Bay sportfishes using mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment-length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis. Estuaries 24(1): 49-58.
- Cordes, J.F.,and L.G. Allen. 1997. Estimates of age, growth and settlement from otoliths of young-of-the-year kelp bass (Paralabrax clathratus). Bull. South. Calif. Acad. Sci. 96(2): 43-60.
- Cordes, J.F. 1996. Illustrations for: J. W. Dole and B. B. Rose (1996) “An Amateur Botanist's Identification Manual for the Shrubs and Trees of the Southern California Coastal Region and Mountains”. Foot Loose Press.
- Cordes, J.F. 1996. Illustrations for: J. W. Dole and B. B. Rose (1996) “An Amateur Botanist's Identification Manual for the Shrubs and Trees of the Southern California Deserts”. Foot Loose Press.
- Jie Xiao, Ph.D. program (dissertation committee).
- I would be happy to talk to perspective students about serving on their thesis or dissertation committees.
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
- American Fisheries Society
- American Genetics Association
- National Shellfisheries Association