Robert J. Latour
Associate Professor of Marine ScienceEmail: [[latour]]
Phone: (804) 684-7312
Office: Fisheries Science Lab 127
Department: Fisheries Science
Curriculum VitaeRobert Latour's CV
B.A., Mathematics, Western New England College
M.BMA, Biomathematics, North Carolina State University
Ph.D., Biomathematics, North Carolina State University
Quantitative fisheries ecology with particular emphasis on predator-prey interactions and ecosystem-based approaches to fisheries management. Population dynamics modeling and stock assessment of exploited marine resources.
Data collection and analysis in support of multispecies stock assessments in the mid-Atlantic: Northeast Area Monitoring and Assessment Program Nearshore Trawl Program. NEAMAP. Funded by MAFMC Research Set Aside.
Design and implementation of ChesMMAP - Chesapeake Bay Multispecies Monitoring and Assessment Program, funded by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Virginia Marine Resources Commission.
- VIMS Shark Research Program. Funded by NOAA/NMFS.
Stock assessment and population monitoring of American shad in Chesapeake Bay, funded by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Virginia Marine Resources Commission
- Patterns of connectivity in Northwest Atlantic fishery ecosystems. Funded through CAMEO, NSF/NOAA
(2007 – present; *Indicates my graduate student; †Indicates graduate student collaboration)
- Gauthier, D.T., R.J. Latour, H.D. Gaff, W.K. Vogelbein. In press. Mycobacteriosis in striped bass (Morone saxatilis). For: Northeast Atlantic Coast Striped Bass Fisheries Management. M. Armstrong and P. Perra, eds.
- †Balazik, M.T., S.P. McIninch, G.C. Garman, and R.J. Latour. 2012. Age and growth of Atlantic sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus) in the James River, USA. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141:1074-1080.
- *Lynch, P.D., K.W. Shertzer, and R.J. Latour. 2012. Estimating relative abundance of highly migratory bycatch species. Fisheries Research 125-126:27-39.
- Latour, R.J., D.T. Gauthier, J. Gartland, C.F. Bonzek, *K.A. McNamee, and W.K. Vogelbein. 2012. Impacts of mycobacteriosis on the growth of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 69: 247-258.
- Latour, R.J., E.J. Hilton, *P.D. Lynch, T.D. Tuckey, B.E. Watkins, and J.E. Olney. In press. Evaluating the current status of American shad (Alosa sapidissima) stocks in three Virginia Rivers. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science.
- † Schloesser, R.W., M.C. Fabrizio, R.J. Latour, G.C. Garman, B. Greenlee, M. Groves, and J. Gartland. 2011. Ecological Role of Blue Catfish in Chesapeake Bay Communities and Implications for Management. American Fisheries Society Symposium 77:369-382.
- *Buchheister, A. and R.J. Latour. 2011. Trophic ecology of summer flounder in Chesapeake Bay inferred from stomach content and stable isotope analyses. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 140:1240-1254.
- *Horodysky, A.Z., R.W. Brill, P.G. Bushnell, J.A. Musick, and R.J. Latour. 2011. Comparative metabolic rates of common Atlantic Ocean sciaenid fishes. Journal of Fish Biology 79:235-255.
- *Lynch, P.D., M.J. Brush, and R.J. Latour. 2011. Simulated short-term impacts of the Atlantic menhaden reduction fishery on Chesapeake Bay water quality. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 31:70-78.
- *Lynch, P.D., J.E. Graves, and R.J. Latour. 2011. Challenges in the assessment and management of highly migratory bycatch species: a case study of the Atlantic marlins. Pages 197-226 in W.W. Taylor, A.J. Lynch, and M.G. Schechter, editors. Sustainable fisheries: multi-level approaches to a global problem. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Frisk, M.G., T.J. Miller, R.J. Latour, and S.J.D. Martell. 2011. Assessing biomass gains from marsh restoration in Delaware Bay using Ecopath with Ecosim. Ecological Modeling 222:190-200.
- Gauthier, D.T., K.S. Reece, J. Xiao, M.W. Rhodes, H.I. Kator, R.J. Latour, C.F. Bonzek, J.M. Hoenig, and W.K. Vogelbein. 2010. Quantitative PCR assay for Mycobacterium pseudoshottsii and Mycobacterium shottsii and application to environmental samples and fishes from Chesapeake Bay, USA. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76:6171-6179.
Garrison, L.P, J.S. Link, D.P. Kilduff, M.D. Cieri, B. Muffley, D. Vaughan, A. Sharov, B. Mahmoudi, and R.J. Latour. 2010. An expansion of the MSVPA approach for quantifying predator-prey interactions in exploited fish communities. ICES Journal of Marine Science 67: 856-870.
- *Horodysky, A.Z., R.W. Brill, E.J. Warrant, J.A. Musick, and R.J. Latour. 2010. Comparative visual function in four piscivorous fishes inhabiting Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Experimental Biology 213: 1751-1761.
- *Lynch, P.D., M.J. Brush, E.D. Condon, and R.J. Latour. 2010. Net removal of nitrogen through ingestion of phytoplankton by Atlantic menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus) in Chesapeake Bay. Marine Ecological Progress Series 401: 195-209.
- *Buchheister, A. and R.J. Latour. 2010. Turnover rates and fractionations of δ13C and δ15N in muscle, blood, and liver tissues of juvenile summer flounder. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67: 445-461.
- Graves, J.E., *A.Z. Horodysky, and R.J. Latour. 2009. Use of pop-up satellite archival tag technology to study postrelease survival and habitat utilization of estuarine and coastal fishes: an application to striped bass. Fishery Bulletin 107:373-383.
- Hoffman, J.C., C.F. Bonzek, and R.J. Latour. 2009. Estimation of bottom trawl catch efficiency for two demersal fishes, the Atlantic croaker and white perch, in Chesapeake Bay. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science 1: 255-269.
- Gauthier, D.T., R.J. Latour, D.M. Heisey, C.F. Bonzek, J. Gartland, E.J. Burge, W.K. Vogelbein. 2008. Mycobacteriosis-associated mortality in wild striped bass (Morone saxatilis) from Chesapeake Bay, USA. Ecological Applications 18: 1718-1727.
- *Horodysky, A.Z., R.W. Brill, E.J. Warrant, J.A. Musick, and R.J. Latour. 2008. Comparative visual function in five sciaenid fishes inhabiting Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Experimental Biology 211:3601-3612.
- *Horodysky, A.Z., R.W. Brill, M.L. Fine, J.A. Musick, and R.J. Latour. 2008. Acoustic pressure and particle motion thresholds in six sciaenid fishes. Journal of Experimental Biology 211:1504-1511.
- Hoenig, J.M., R.J. Latour, and J.E. Olney. 2008. Estimating stock composition of anadromous fishes from mark-recovery data: possible application to American shad. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:507-515.
- Latour, R.J., J. Gartland, C.F. Bonzek, and R.A. Johnson. 2008. The trophic dynamics of summer flounder (Paralichthys dentatus) in Chesapeake Bay. Fishery Bulletin 106:47-57.
- † Horodysky, A.Z., D.W. Kerstetter, R.J. Latour, and J.E. Graves. 2007. Habitat utilization and vertical movements of white marlin (Tetrapturus albidus) released from commercial and recreational fishing gears in the western North Atlantic Ocean: inferences from short-duration pop-up archival satellite tags (PSATs). Fisheries Oceanography 16:240-256.
- † Jiang, H., K.H. Pollock, C. Brownie, J.M. Hoenig, R.J. Latour, B.K. Wells, and J.E. Hightower. 2007. Tag return models allowing for harvest and catch and release: evidence of environmental and management impacts on striped bass fishing and natural mortality rates. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27:387-396.
- Andre Buchheister (Ph.D)
- Carissa Gervasi (M.S.)
- Patrick Lynch (Ph.D)
- Kristene Parsons (Ph.D)
- Kathryn Sobocinski (Ph.D) co-advisor
- Mark Stratton (Ph.D)
- Christopher Sweetman (Ph.D)
- Christopher J. Sweetman, M.S., 2012. Thesis: Distribution and feeding ecology of Bathylagus euryops (TELEOSTEI: MICROSTOMATIDAE) along the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge, from Iceland to the Azores
- Catarina Wor: M.S., 2012. Thesis: Evaluating the impact of stock structure uncertainty in stock assessments of sailfish in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Andrij Horodysky, Ph.D., 2009. Dissertation: Comparative sensory and energetic ecology of sciaenid fishes and their competitors in Chesapeake Bay, VA
- Justine Woodward, M.S., 2009. Thesis: Investigating the relationships between recruitment indices and estimates of adult abundance for striped bass, weakfish, and Atlantic croaker.
- Andre Buchheister, M.S., 2008. Thesis: Isotope dynamics in summer flounder tissues, with application to diet assessment in Chesapeake Bay.
- Patrick Lynch, M.S., 2007. Thesis: The feeding ecology of Atlantic menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus) in Chesapeake Bay.
- Kathleen McNamee, M.S., 2007. Thesis: Trophic ecology and growth of striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay, with reference to mycobacteriosis.
- 2013. Kathryn Sobocinski, The Matthew Fontaine Maury Society Student Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2012. Andre Buchheister, Deans Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2012. Carissa Gervasi, Grey Allison & H. Renwick Dunlap Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2011-2012. Mark Stratton, Edward Holland Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2011. Catarina Wor, Perry Travel Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2011. Patrick Lynch, Beazley Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2008-2011. Kathryn Sobocinski, Hunter B. Andrews, Jr. Fellowship, VIMS Foundation
- 2010. Kathryn Sobocinski, QEA Anchor Scholarship
- 2010. Patrick Lynch, Best paper by an M.S. student, VIMS
- 2007. Andrij Horodysky, The Matthew Fontaine Maury Society Student Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
- 2006. Andre Buchheister, William J. Hargis, Jr. Fellowship Award, VIMS Foundation
MSCI 504 Fundamentals of Statistical Methods and Data Analysis (Instructor)
MSCI 528 Marine Fisheries Science (co-Instructor)
MSCI 548 Marine Fisheries Science and Management (Lecturer, Summer course for high school teachers)
MSCI 649 Modeling Biological and Ecological Systems (co-Instructor)
MSCI 671 Fisheries Population Dynamics (Instructor)
Estuarine Research Federation (2003-present)
American Fisheries Society (1999-present)
ASMFC Menhaden Technical Committee
Member, ASMFC Multispecies Technical Committee
Member, Science and Statistics Committee, MAFMC